At the APA-NYM, we are always looking to engage the entire planning community, from individuals, to government agencies, to private companies. A number of these private companies have generously chosen to support the work and programs of the Chapter as sponsors. Those companies are listed below:
AKRF, Inc.Contributor Level: Sponsor
AKRF – a multidisciplinary consulting firm specializing in environmental, planning, and engineering services – is considered the consultant of choice to tackle a wide range of complex, controversial, and time-sensitive projects for public agencies, private clients, and municipalities. Founded in 1981, we bring together the talents of over 350 employees in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.
As a medium-sized company, we combine the breadth and resources of larger firms with the specialized know-how and attentiveness offered by smaller ones to deliver solutions with measurable value. Our experience in the field and commitment to our clients has made us one of the most respected firms in the Northeast.
Our professional staff includes urban planners, economists, historians, air quality and noise analysts, civil engineers, transportation planners, and site assessment and remediation specialists. Our range of expertise enables us to offer clients a single-point source for all regulatory, engineering, and planning needs.
AKRF offers services in the following disciplines:
- Acoustics, noise and vibration
- Air quality
- Audiovisual and multimedia
- Civil, marine and geotechnical engineering
- Climate change adaptation
- Construction management and inspection
- Cultural resources
- Economics and real estate
- Environmental impact assessment
- Geographic information systems
- Landscape planning and design
- Municipal and regional planning
- Natural resources
- Permitting and compliance
- Public outreach and engagement
- Site assessment and remediation
- Traffic and transportation
440 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10016
34 South Broadway
White Plains, NY 10601
120 Defreest Drive
Troy, NY 12180
1695 Church Street
Holbrook, NY 11741
Staff: 350 | AICP: 20
HDR Inc.Contributor Level: Sponsor
HDR offers comprehensive services in Transportation, Environmental & Resource Management (E&RM) and Water/wastewater (W/WW). Transportation expertise includes roadways, bridges, rail transit, railroads, tunnels, ports, airports, and transportation planning and environmental sciences. E&RM expertise includes environmental assessments, planning, brownfields, solid waste management, permitting and privatization. W/WW includes storm water management, permitting, benchmarking, water and wastewater treatment and design.
HNTBContributor Level: Sponsor
For more than 100 years, HNTB has built a reputation for excellence and innovation. With more than 3,600 professionals in 60 offices, HNTB is the planner, designer and construction manager for $11B of infrastructure annually. We understand the issues – from planning to design to financing to project delivery – that affect our client’s ability to complete complex infrastructure projects and programs.
A leader in providing planning services to clients across the U.S., HNTB brings more than 42 years of experience in planning, and more than 270 planners, urban designers and landscape architects in 60 offices across the country, including New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
The services HNTB’s Northeast Division planners have provided to our clients include:
- Corridor Studies/Complete Streets/BRT
- Long Range Transportation and Strategic Plans
- Bicycle/Pedestrian/Greenway Planning and Design
- Landscape Architecture and Urban Design
- Transit Oriented Development Design/Planning
- Station Design and Architecture
- Low Impact Development/Green Infrastructure/LEED
- Design Guidelines/Context Sensitive Solutions
- Land Use Planning and Analysis
- Regional Planning
- GIS Analysis
- Resiliency Planning
- Sustainability Guidelines
- Travel Demand Studies and Modeling
- Environmental Planning (NEPA/SEQRA)
- Economic Analysis
- Rail Operations Analysis
- Traffic Planning and Analysis
- Ridership Projections
- Pedestrian Modeling
Kimley-Horn of New YorkContributor Level: Contributor
Kimley-Horn is one of the nation’s premier planning and design consultants. Our professionals are experts in many disciplines yet share one passion—making our clients successful. We combine creative yet practical solutions, a sense of urgency, and a focus on bottom line value to meet your specific project needs.
When you choose Kimley-Horn for planning services, you choose talent, experience, and passion for the task at hand. We grasp complex community issues and offer tailored solutions to help you reach critical decisions on planning and community engagement issues. Our clients have access to a versatile staff of professional civil, transportation, and structural engineers; planners; landscape architects; and environmental scientists. We have partnered with municipalities across the country to craft growth and development plans that balance economic, environmental, and social values.
Kimley-Horn’s community planning professionals provide comprehensive solutions to the planning and design of communities of all sizes.
- Due Diligence
- Traffic Engineering
- Site Civil Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Parking Planning/Garage Design
- Roadway Design
NY EDCContributor Level: Donor
With more than 500 urban planners, engineers, analysts, accountants, and community organizers, NYCEDC works tirelessly to strengthen communities, develop talent pipelines, increase resiliency, and spark innovation throughout New York’s five boroughs. We are committed to keeping New York the global model for inclusive economic growth, fueled by the city’s people and businesses.
Our Planning division promotes robust and inclusive growth in NYC’s neighborhoods and along its waterfront by advancing major projects that:
- Engage communities in planning for their future, meeting their needs, and unlocking their potential
- Leverage the City’s public assets and coordinate programs and investments across agencies to catalyze neighborhood, business, and quality-job growth
- Advance strategic development and infrastructure projects that help build vibrant, livable, inclusive neighborhoods and strengthen transportation systems
- Promote public access, economic opportunity, and resilience along the city’s vast waterfront
Address: One Liberty St, New York, NY 10006
Phone: (888) 692-0100Website: https://edc.nyc/
Staff: 500 | AICP: 15
Philip Habib & AssociatesContributor Level: Donor
Philip Habib & Associates (PHA) is a 32-person consulting firm, specializing in transportation planning, traffic engineering, environmental planning, civil engineering, and construction support services. Our diverse staff of planners, civil engineers and traffic engineers enables us to take projects from preliminary planning and environmental review through final design and construction inspection. We work with a wide variety of private and public clients. The firm, established in 1989, is certified as a WBE by NYCDBS and NYSDED.
PHA offers a wide range of services, including:
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Environmental Assessments
- Development Feasibility Studies
- ULURP Applications
- Preparation of New York City Map Change Drawings
- Waterfront Development
- Ferry Planning
- Transportation Master Planning
- Terminal Planning
- Site Planning
- Traffic/Parking Analysis
- Parking Design
- Pedestrian Analysis
- Loading Dock Design/Freight Distribution
- Civil Engineering
- Streetscape Design
- Highway Design
- Construction Support Services
Some of our recent/current projects have included the EISs for the World Trade Center Campus Security Plan, the Rheingold Development in Brooklyn, and NYCDCP’s West Harlem Rezoning. The firm is also preparing the map change drawings for New York City’â€™s redevelopment of Coney Island. In addition, the firm provides traffic and civil engineering services for projects that include Related’s Hudson Yards development; the Cornell University Applied Sciences Master Plan on Roosevelt Island; the Pier 52 development in Hudson River Park; and the World Trade Center redevelopment.
Sam Schwartz Transportation ConsultantsContributor Level: Sponsor
Sam Schwartz is a multi-modal transportation planning and engineering firm that has collaborated with cities for over twenty years on complex issues and strategies. In an era where daily changes in behavior, technology, and funding are creating transportation disruption, Sam Schwartz offers a forward-looking, yet pragmatic, approach to sustainable mobility with unparalleled technical and problem-solving expertise.
As city leaders increasingly aspire to re-envision their streets, Sam Schwartz has served as a frequent collaborator with those cities who are leading the charge, implementing the tremendous change that accompanies new leadership (Los Angeles and Seattle) or a new focus on transportation choices (Chicago and Grand Rapids).
In New York, our staff laid much of the groundwork for the innovations enacted under Mayor Bloomberg and Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, from policy changes to design guidelines to securing new funding and implementing dozens of transformative projects. Sam Schwartz has also established itself as the national leader in planning for the impact of the new normal of transportation, where one’s mobile device is the most important component to getting around.
Starr WhitehouseContributor Level: Donor
Starr Whitehouse is committed to making places and communities more livable, green, and vibrant.
We bring energy and creativity to the challenge of finding what is genuine and sustainable, a challenge that starts with recognizing the strata of natural systems, physical organization, social systems, regulations, history, and culture that come together in a location. From this base, recommendations and designs emerge through consensus-building and inspiration.
Starr Whitehouse values collaboration with clients, the public, allied disciplines, and specialists. As leaders and members of teams, we believe that communication and collaboration yield the richest results and the most effective partnerships.
With comprehensive experience in parks, green spaces, urban design, and environmental planning in New York City and beyond, Starr Whitehouse spans a continuum of planning, strategy, and design through to implementation and management to meet the specific needs of our clients and create value.
STV Inc.Contributor Level: Donor
STV is an award-winning professional firm consistently ranking among the country’s top companies in education, corrections, highways, bridges, rail, and mass transit sectors. As an employee-owned firm, this success is the direct result of our employees’ commitment to innovation and quality. STV has built a national reputation as a leader in the planning and design of transportation and transit systems. Our NYC-based Transportation & Infrastructure (T&I) Division melds all aspects of transportation/transit planning, multidisciplinary design, and operations expertise to successfully lead capacity constraints and improvement analyses and other transportation planning projects to evaluate and recommend ways to improve mobility, economic opportunities, and quality of life for communities within the New York metropolitan area, and nationwide.
VHBContributor Level: Sponsor
VHB partners with clients from its 23 offices across the East Coast to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship. Premier industry publication Engineering News-Record ranks the firm among the Top 500 Design Firms nationwide, and VHB is a frequent recipient of project awards for planning, engineering, and environmental excellence. Over 1,300 engineers, scientists, planners, and designers—including 160 professionals in four New York offices—provide a wide range of services to public- and private-sector clients.
The firm’s award winning planning and design practice offers comprehensive services in:
- CDBG Grants and Program Administration
- Affordable Housing Studies
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing
- Blight Studies
- Urban Renewal Plans
Land Use Planning
- Comprehensive Plans
- Master Planning
- Downtown Revitalization Planning
- Zoning Analysis
- Development of Zoning Regulations
- Development Application Review and Process
- Brownfield Assessments
- Municipal Planning Consulting
- CEQR, SEQRA and NEPA Documentation and Analysis
- Economic Development Consulting
- Economic Impact Analysis
- Fiscal Impact Analysis
- Market Analysis and Research
- Civic Engagement and Outreach
- Climate Adaptation Plans
- Resiliency and Sustainability Planning
- Open Space Planning
- Grant Research and Application Writing
- GIS Mapping, Planning, and Analysis
Valerie Monastra, AICP
Gina Martini, AICP
50 Main Street, Suite 360
White Plains, NY 10606
100 Motor Parkway, Suite 135
Hauppauge, New York 11788
One Penn Plaza, Suite 715
New York, New York 10119
100 Great Oaks Blvd, Suite 118
Albany, NY 12203
Staff: 1300 | AICP: 41
WSPContributor Level: Patron
WSP, one of the world’s leading engineering and professional services consulting firms, provides services designed to transform the built environment and restore the natural one. The firm’s expertise ranges from urban planning and environmental remediation to engineering iconic buildings and designing sustainable transport networks, to developing the energy sources of the future and enabling new ways of extracting essential resources. Approximately 34,000 employees, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors, program and construction management professionals, as well as various environmental experts, work for this dynamic organization in more than 500 offices across 40 countries worldwide. WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff’s worldwide planning practice works on major infrastructure programs and projects in the transportation, power, mining, water and buildings markets.
Specific services include:
- Transportation planning
- Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) planning
- Transit facility planning
- Rail and bus rapid transit (BRT) operations planning
- Pedestrian modeling and simulation
- Complete Streets and non-motorized (pedestrian and bicycle) circulation studies
- Travel demand forecasting
- Alternatives Analysis/New Starts
- Urban design
- Resiliency planning
- Strategic and financial planning
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) analysis and documentation
- City and State Environmental Quality Review (CEQR/SEQR) analysis and documentation
- Post-NEPA environmental compliance
- Project and program management
- Public outreach
- Master Plans and Regional Long-Range Plans
- Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP)
- Zoning/design guidelines/form-based codes
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) compliance
- Construction impact analysis
- Sustainable infrastructure design
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Report preparation (InDesign)
We provide expertise in road, rail, transit, ports, and aviation as well as integrated planning and multimodal studies. Our work on policy development includes reviews of major projects and their strategic technical, environmental, and economic appraisal. Stakeholder engagement and tailored public consultation are prerequisites for the planning projects we undertake.
WXY Architecture and Urban DesignContributor Level: Sponsor
WXY is an award-winning multi-disciplinary practice specializing in the realization of urban design, planning and architectural solutions in challenging contexts.
Focused on innovative approaches to public space, structures and urban issues, the firm’s work engages both site-specific design and planning at multiple scales. The firm’s commissions are in collaboration with community-based, public authority, and private clients.
Our firm’s architectural design embraces place-specific concepts and resilient design to create new and repurposed buildings, piers and bridges, and urban furnishings for the public realm. WXY’s integrated design process involves clients and stakeholders, to coordinate and solve complex design problems, yielding solutions as noteworthy for their intimacy and detail as for their civic dignity and amenity.
Our planning work engages local communities and constituencies in unique ways, utilizes analytical GIS and zoning expertise, and integrates an understanding of infrastructure and economic development concerns. The results have included the creative visioning of public spaces, new urban clusters and broad urban revitalization and infrastructure planning efforts.
WXY founding partners Claire Weisz and Mark Yoes were joined by Layng Pew and Adam Lubinsky, in 2006 and 2011 respectively.
- Architecture: WXY’s practice addresses emerging hybrid challenges that reflect the complexities of contemporary life. WXY’s work creates new armatures for public interaction.
- Urban Design: WXY focuses on innovative approaches to public space, structures and cities. We focus on social and environmental transformation of the public realm at multiple scales.
- Planning: WXY’s integrated design process engages clients and stakeholders to solve complex public realm challenges. Our work is about systemic transformations, improving the physical, social, economic and ecological conditions of cities today.