Organization: Village of Scarsdale, NY
Posted: February 29, 2020 | Closing: April 3, 2020
Job Description: The Village of Scarsdale, Westchester County NY is seeking a Village Planner to direct planning initiatives, act as staff to the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Appeals, advise the Village Board on long range planning and development issues, manage the Planning Department and serve as Village Environmental Officer. The Village Planner reports to the Village Manager.
Considerable knowledge of the following is required:
- The theory, principles and techniques of the planning profession and development process;
- Federal, state and local laws, ordinances and codes pertaining to a wide variety of planning topics;
- Planning practices and procedures applied in land use development including zoning and subdivision regulations;
- Principles of personnel management, including supervision, training and performance evaluation;
- Methods and techniques of research and analysis; and
- Basic principles of budgeting and finance.
- Effective and persuasive leadership;
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of staff, general public, elected and appointed officials, and others;
- Proven management skills and ability to manage day-to-day operations;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the editing, oversight or preparation of technical reports, and the presentation of information to government entities and various committees;
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills to work effectively with various officials, staff, residents, professionals representing residents, vendors and other customers;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to understand and manage high-profile, sensitive or controversial political situations;
- Strong problem-solving and negotiation skills; and
- Ability to exercise sound and independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
Examples of Work Responsibilities:
- Act as staff to the Village Planning Board and Board of Appeals, preparing staff review memos, all meeting resolutions and decisions and editing meeting minutes.
- Review applications for compliance with state and local land use laws and environmental regulations (SEQRA).
- Analyze the impact of proposed zoning amendments, subdivision, special permit and site plan applications.
- Work closely with residents, architects, attorneys, engineers and other governmental agencies.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled evening Zoning and Planning Board meetings and Village Board meetings as required.
- Conduct research and draft related reports on Planning and Land Use related issues in conjunction with local laws and policy initiatives at the Village Board, Planning and Zoning Board levels.
- Prepare and review environmental assessment forms and findings as required pursuant to the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA).
- Develop and maintain automated tracking systems, hard copy files and records.
- Evaluate planning-related legislation and applicability to department projects.
- Write and evaluate proposals for planning-related consulting services.
- Prepare department operations budget and annual report.
- Write planning-related grant and award applications.
- Work with Village staff to develop amendments to the Village zoning and other land use codes.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience:
This position requires a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in urban planning, public administration, environmental studies or a related field and a minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible planning/land use experience. Generally, one year of experience should be in a supervisory capacity. AICP Certification is preferred and the ability to obtain certification within two years is be required. Preference may be given to applicants possessing qualifications above the minimum.
How to Apply
Applications must include:
• Cover Letter,
• Writing sample(s), and
• Three references (including daytime phone numbers)
Please email your application to Angela Sapienza-Martin, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.