Urban Planning Internship
Posted: February 14, 2018 | Closing: March 1, 2018
At Madlan we are building an entirely new way to answer one of life’s most daunting questions: where should I live? Our robust team of data scientists, software engineers, and urban planners conducts holistic research about NYC neighborhoods by combining data analysis, qualitative knowledge, and on-the-ground observation. Then we translate that knowledge for the average New Yorker to understand and deliver it to the palm of their hand for free.
We have an immediate opening for a part-time Urban Planning Intern to assist the urban planning team in developing and improving insights for neighborhoods throughout New York City. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing startup at the crossroads of planning, real estate, and technology.
- Gathering and organizing data
- Conducting field research and site visits
- Converting geographic features into geospatial data (digitization)
- Creating, expanding, and maintaining GIS assets
- Reaching out to developers, nonprofits, and public agencies for information
- Attending community board meetings
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the team
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Interest in urban life, real estate, and technology
- Familiarity with the New York City market
- Organized and detail oriented
- Strong communication skills
- Capable of working independently
- Ability to conduct fieldwork to support desk-research
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience using GIS. Google SketchUp a plus
- $15 per hour
- Up to 25 hours per week during the spring semester at the company’s Flatiron office, with the possibility of the internship continuing part-time through the summer
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 1st. Please include the words “Urban Planning Internship” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.