Urban Designer/Planner | NY or NJ
Organization: Sam Schwartz Engineering
Posted: October 7, 2019 | Closing: November 1, 2019
Sam Schwartz is an industry-leading transportation planning, engineering, and environmental firm known nationally for our ability to solve complex transportation problems with creative, multi-modal solutions. Our work includes diverse, high-profile projects such as the World Trade Center, LaGuardia Airport/JFK Redevelopment, and the Second Avenue Subway, along with design and strategic planning for cities nationally. We are seeking a creative individual that goes above and beyond typical expectations, thrives within a collaborative environment, and delivers unique planning and design perspectives.
The success of our work is often dependent on our ability to visually communicate complex ideas to diverse audiences, including government decisionmakers; other industry practitioners; and community stakeholders. Examples of previous work products include presentations, maps, infographics, video, and animations.
We are seeking a problem solver who can work collaboratively to help design and create a wide variety of materials that support our planning and engineering practices for either our Midtown Manhattan or Jersey City office. The selected individual will provide graphics and design support to transportation planning and engineering projects, including roadway design and site planning. The individual will also help support various transportation planning efforts including transportation demand management programs during major construction projects and operational planning for multi-modal facilities.
- Manage the design and production of presentations and reports
- Design and create maps, charts, and diagrams
- Develop infographics to communicate transportation concepts
- Preparation of conceptual roadway designs
- Fieldwork and site visits
The ideal candidate will:
- Contribute creatively to design and idea generation
- Understand the elements of graphic design and employ its principles
- Be able to both collaborate with a team and work autonomously
- Enjoy identifying and proposing the best way to communicate a given concept
- Take initiative in learning new techniques, skills, and software
- Have interest in and understanding of transportation planning concepts
Skills and Qualifications
The candidate should possess the following qualities:
- 1 to 3 years of urban design/planning experience
- Degree in urban design, urban planning, architecture, or related field
- Excellent graphic and verbal communication skills
- Mastery of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Mastery in Microsoft Office Suite (particularly PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with web design (HTML, CSS, Java) is a plus
- Familiarity with video editing platforms, including PremierePro and AfterEffects is a plus
- Knowledge of AutoCAD is a plus
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and portfolio (link or PDF) at http://samschwartz.com/careers/. References will be expected of those interviewed.
How to Apply