Staff Services Engineer – Traffic Engineering
Organization: The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Posted: February 8, 2019 | Closing: March 1, 2019
Job ID: 34175
Title: Staff Services Engineer – Traffic Engineering
Division: Engineering & Architectural Design Division
Location: 4 World Trade Center
Join one of the most diverse, award-winning innovative traffic engineering groups in the country. The Port Authority Traffic Engineering group is an award-winning national-leader in innovative planning, design and operations of the most critical links of a multi-modal regional transportation network in the greater New York City area.
Responsibilities will include supporting the delivery of an ambitious 30+ Billion-dollar Capital program at some of the most constrained and busiest transportation facilities in the world, working on mega-projects such as the Port Authority Bus Terminal Replacement, EWR, JFK and LaGuardia Airport redevelopment efforts, Restoring the George Washington Bridge Program, and Replacement of the Lincoln Tunnel Helix. Work will also include supporting the award-winning Port Authority Traffic Safety Improvement Program, and involvement in innovating ways to integrate technology into our facilities. The selected candidate will not only be expected to have quality traffic engineering experience, but also possess an innovative, industry-leading, “can-do” mindset, to support the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to continue to lead the traffic engineering industry.
Under the supervision of the Principal Traffic Engineer, the successful candidate will supervise and work as part of an integrated Port Authority and consultant team to deliver well-rounded traffic engineering work such as traffic planning studies, traffic operations initiatives, safety studies, and transportation technology projects.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop, review, and/or manage traffic-related scopes of work, budgets, and schedules for roadway design projects, rehabilitation projects, or work orders; prepare contract drawings, technical specifications and cost estimates; prepare Traffic Management plans and Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) documents; audit traffic engineering design documents prepared by consultants.
- Apply knowledge of traffic operations concepts of traffic control devices, traffic signal systems, temporary traffic control zones, access management, transportation systems management, traffic ITS, and roadway inventory data management/asset management, to assess traffic flow, capacity, control, and guidance issues and design appropriate countermeasures.
- Apply knowledge of traffic safety concepts of crash site analysis, crash data analysis, road safety auditing, speed management, countermeasure development, and countermeasure effectiveness evaluation, to prepare and/or review safety studies, reports, and conceptual design sketches.
- Apply knowledge of traffic planning concepts of data collection, capacity analysis, geometric design, traffic forecasting, traffic modeling and simulation, and trip assignments, to prepare and/or review planning studies, reports, and functional design plans.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible traffic engineering work.
- Experience must include work in traffic signal system design, traffic safety, traffic planning, traffic operations, or traffic ITS.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, from an accredited college or university.
- Possess Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate
- Possess a valid auto driver license.
- Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments, with prior experience supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in Transportation from an accredited college or university
- Possession of a license as a Professional Engineer in New York or New Jersey or the ability to obtain licensure via reciprocity.
- Possession of certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
- Experience with CAD, GIS, and databases.
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.