Senior Transportation Analyst
Organization: Amtrak - Northeast Corridor Commission
Posted: January 29, 2019 | Closing: February 28, 2019
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Northeast Corridor Commission is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join its hard-working and enthusiastic staff. The Commission was established by Congress in the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 to coordinate the agencies that share the region’s core rail network. While the Commission has been administratively hosted by Amtrak since 2011, its staff is an independent team of transportation professionals.
This position will support activities related to the Northeast Corridor (NEC) Cost Allocation Policy that governs the allocation over $1 billion in annual operating and capital costs among the nine passenger railroads that operate on the NEC rail line. A vital tenet of the Policy is a commitment to the sharing of information about the ongoing operation and performance of all trains on the corridor. The Commission gathers, combines, and delivers to its members on a regular basis reports and analyses based upon this information. This activity would be the primary focus of this position.
Specific responsibilities will include collecting and managing financial and operations data from eleven transportation agencies located across the Northeast from Massachusetts to Virginia (and other data sources), developing and executing data compilation, updating and retrieval processes in coordination with external consultants, and performing ongoing analysis of operations information to address questions from Commission member agencies. The position will also include work on Commission initiatives regarding the collection and reporting of data related to railroad infrastructure asset inventories and capital program implementation for railroad infrastructure.
This role requires a high degree of technical competency, strong organizational skills, experience in data analytics, and emerging project management skills. Experience working passenger or freight rail, or public transportation is beneficial.
This position is intended to be located in Washington, DC.
• Support updating and maintenance of NECC operating performance data systems and the production of quarterly and annual performance reports.
• Collect financial and operations data from eleven transportation agencies and other sources, including preparing templates, performing ongoing coordination with external contacts at member agencies, and normalizing data for use by NECC staff.
• Identify and implement technical improvements to the NECC operations data gathering and reporting processes, including improvements to existing data collection sources, spreadsheet, database and data visualization and analytics tools. Increase efficiency of producing and effectiveness of utilizing NECC’s operations data. Identify and provide technical guidance and recommendations regarding potential new tools, software, etc.
• Manage the storage of large streams of data, including documenting information collected from external sources and ensuring compliance with all data storage and file-naming specifications. Manage access to cloud-based data resources by authorized Commission users.
• Support the development of responses to ongoing questions from external stakeholders, including organizing the collection of all formal questions related to the operating performance data systems, performing ad hoc analyses of operational incidents or trends, and developing and delivering brief presentations and/or reports to stakeholders.
• Support the collection and analysis of data related to railroad infrastructure asset inventories and capital program implementation for railroad infrastructure.
• Ability to analyze large datasets, including demonstrated strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, especially Access and Excel. Interest in expanding working knowledge of these and other data processing and management tools as needed to meet evolving project needs.
• Ability to solve problems independently, identify potential process improvements, and work collaboratively with staff at all levels.
• Excellent organization skills, including the ability to organize and store large quantities of files and data.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated interest in passenger rail transportation and/ or the ability to learn the details of the Northeast Corridor rail infrastructure and its commuter, intercity and freight rail operations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
How to Apply