Senior Project Manager, Strategic Planning
Organization: New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development
Posted: November 23, 2019 | Closing: January 6, 2020
As part of the Strategic Planning team within SOA, the Senior Project Manager will work with agency staff to explore and enhance how HPD’s programs and support teams deliver on the agency’s mission to promote the quality and affordability of the city’s housing and the strength and diversity of its many neighborhoods. The Senior Project Manager plays a key role in conceptualizing, advancing, and ensuring successful outcomes for these operational and strategic projects.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Planning, the Senior Project Manager will:
- Design, and guide staff through, conversations to identify their program’s objectives and goals, consider the strategies for achieving those goals, and determine the activities that best support those strategies.
- Examine and map how work currently gets done within a business unit, including formal and informal leadership structures, process flows, and divisional / programmatic “pain points”.
- Create and help deploy new procedures and systems that refine business operations, making them both more efficient and more outcome-oriented.
- Support the design of new programs within the agency.
- Use tested and applicable strategic planning practices to design and facilitate sessions with staff at various levels to holistically understand operational challenges and develop potential program designs or solutions, to achieve alignment, and to generate buy-in for program enhancement.
- Conduct needs assessments to determine project concepts and scopes, and prepare corresponding project workplans.
- Perform qualitative data-gathering (including developing, conducting, and summarizing interviews and focus groups) to investigate current operational conditions.
- Analyze and compellingly present data findings to agency staff at various levels.
- Support strategic planning implementation through the development of user-friendly tools and approaches (including management structures, tracking systems, and other bespoke solutions).
- Proactively identify operational needs within the agency, and respond to requests for support around business process issues.
- Act as a subject matter expert on facilitation techniques and group session design.
- Assist the Director of Strategic Planning with select key initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to design and apply diagnostic and planning techniques to agency operations; specific experience with human-centered design thinking and/or other similar techniques a strong plus.
- Strong facilitation skills, and an ability to lead diverse groups of stakeholders through idea-generating and decision-making exercises.
- Data analysis skills intended to provide evidence for specific process design and re-engineering.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to articulate information and recommendations compellingly and persuasively in email, memos, and presentations.cc
- Experience simultaneously managing multiple complex projects related to business operations, ideally in a public or nonprofit agency.
- Interest in improving government practice and in devising solutions that support the advancement of affordable housing efforts.
How to Apply
Please go online and apply at www.nyc.gov/careers . Search for JOB ID# 422186
City Employees: Apply through the Employee Self Service portal (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess. Search for JOB ID# 422186