Senior Planner, Land Use
Organization: NYC Economic Development Corporation
Posted: September 1, 2021 | Closing: October 23, 2021
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Land Use Department, within the Planning Division, believes in the essential role planning must play in creating a better, safer city. We deliver land use and infrastructure projects to serve the needs of all New Yorkers through collaboration with interdisciplinary teams and external partners. We provide project teams with specific strategies to mitigate risk and navigate the complex regulatory processes needed to secure approvals.
Recent projects managed by the Land Use Department include the disposition of City-owned property projects through the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, the drafting of an Environmental Impact Statement to inform the expansion of the New York City Ferry system and the preparation of Waterfront Zoning certifications necessary to construct the most recent 100% affordable housing mixed-use project on the South Bronx waterfront.
Your Role: Reporting to a Vice President in the Land Use team you will manage project approval processes and provide technical expertise to our Neighborhood Strategies, Transportation, Real Estate and Capital Projects departments in everything that shapes the future of our city from zoning regulations, City Environmental Quality Review and Uniform Land Use Review Procedure. Your project portfolio could include projects from anywhere in the 5 boroughs with diverse project goals that could include providing quality job opportunities, climate change resiliency, affordable housing, public open space or transportation improvements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of multiple project approvals involving a range of local, state and federal actions including land use approvals, environmental reviews and other required permits
- Build consensus-based solutions with regulatory and partner agencies and maintain working trust-based relationships with external agency regulators
- Ability to prepare and review technical applications in zoning, environmental review and other land use regulations, and provide technical expertise related to those regulations to project teams
- Create and deliver presentations, memos and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations, decision points and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior NYCEDC staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Contribute problem solving and critical thinking to all stages of a project from formulation, through public approvals to implementation
- Manage consultants to ensure quality products are delivered on-schedule, including managing budgets and Minority/Women Owned Business Enterprise goals
- Proactively manage critical milestones of long-term timelines to ensure complex projects are delivered on-time, and anticipate and flag to senior staff if projects are not on schedule
- Interface with development partners, regulatory agencies, elected officials and community groups
- Work with interdisciplinary teams in the preparation of Requests For Proposals, and the development and implementation of site specific and area-wide planning initiatives
- Attend public meetings and hearings on NYCEDC projects, present projects and report back to team on status
- Other duties as assigned
- 3 or more years of professional experience in planning the regulation of land development in fields involving regulatory approvals of zoning plans, land sub-division, environmental review, public entitlement approvals, transportation and economic development plans
- Master’s degree in Planning or a related field, or 2 additional years of experience
- Extensive knowledge of New York City zoning, planning issues, environmental regulations and environmental review procedures is required
- Ability to use spreadsheet and presentation applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, GIS
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects involving multiple public and private parties
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills, a willingness to accept responsibility, ask tough questions, and have a solutions-oriented approach
- Ability to organize and prioritize among competing needs and opportunities
- Anticipate and resolves problems as they arise
- Ability and experience to effectively collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills required
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.
How to Apply
Apply through Jobsvite: