Organization: Nelson Pope Voorhis
Posted: August 3, 2023 | Closing: August 31, 2023
NPV is seeking an experienced, self-motivated, and energetic Senior Environmental Planner to work in our Melville office on Long Island to support our work with numerous municipal and private clients on Long Island and in the Hudson Valley. This is a senior level position with opportunities to work in a wide range of services to have impact and positive change on the environment as well as advance in senior management.
- Project/Team Management
- Oversee and provide support in a wide variety of environmental and planning projects.
- Working directly with principals/partners and junior staff to produce products and meet client goals.
- Manage planning projects. Work with junior staff to delegate sections and review interim products in the preparation of planning/zoning studies (including Comprehensive Plans, Blight Studies and Urban Renewal Plans, Special Long Range Planning Studies, BOAs and LWRPs)
- Preparation of products which incorporate visual elements and figures to accompany narrative.
- Prepare, coordinate, and facilitate community engagement efforts related to planning studies.
- Communicate with clients, colleagues and subconsultants independently as needed and in a professional manner.
The full range of potential projects is very diverse – including waterfront revitalization plans, municipal comprehensive plans, ecological restoration planning and compliance, water quality improvement plans and many other planning and environmental compliance projects that have positive impact on our environment.
Key Skills and Expertise
- Provide municipal board consulting services including review of development applications (site and subdivision plans, special use permits), review for SEQRA compliance, staff report preparation, and attend evening board meetings.
- SEQRA document preparation, including Environmental Impact Statements for public and private clients; perform environmental analysis for SEQR and CEQR documentation, identify mitigation measures and prepare professionally written products.
- Remain current in latest environmental planning subject matter, practices, regulations, and techniques. Stay up to date with environmental research methods, tools, and current issues.
- Review RFPS and identify market opportunities for NPV – manage proposals and participate with partners in business development.
- Strong written policy, planning and environmental analysis acumen.
- Mentor and coach junior staff and participate with partners in strategic recruiting and workforce retention.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental/urban planning, environmental science, landscape architecture, or a related field.
- 10 years of full-time professional experience in environmental planning.
- 3 years in a project management role.
- Demonstrated experience as self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced office environment.
- Experience managing and preparing planning studies.
- Strong technical writing, analytical, research, and public speaking skills.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the principles, practices & techniques of environmental and land use planning, and a working knowledge of New York State land use and environmental regulations.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet schedules and budgets.
- Perform quality assurance and reviews to produce high quality work products.
- 10-15 years of full-time professional experience in environmental planning
- 5 or more years in a project management role
- Masters degree in related field
- AICP Certification
How to Apply
Nelson, Pope & Voorhis is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
Please transmit your qualifications package to email@example.com.