Organization: City of Trenton, NJ - Division of Planning, Dept of Housing and Eco Dev.
Posted: April 22, 2019 | Closing: May 17, 2019
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Under supervision, performs a variety of duties related to the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data/GIS; review development proposals; keep abreast of planning, social media, and technical trends; ensures compliance with the City’s plans, land development ordinance, and State statutes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Be a 21st century innovative, urban thinker.
- Take the lead over major details of planning studies and surveys involving complex technical aspects of land use planning.
- Be able to analyze and present data creatively for layman interpretations.
- Familiarity with the many platforms within ArcGIS online. Ability to utilize storytelling through ArcGIS online.
- Gather and maintain demographic and spatial data and other related statistics.
- Compile information and make recommendations on special studies; prepare technical reports.
- Participate in the research, analysis, and interpretation of social, economic, population and land use data and trends.
- Prepares maps representing existing and proposed land use and other data for submission or presentation.
- Make presentations to the City Council, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, standing and ad hoc committees, developers, community groups and outside agencies.
- Review land development proposals and other requests made to the Division of Planning for conformance with City plans, appropriate regulations, and codes; recommend viable alternatives when required. Prepare development review reports and recommendations.
- Advise and confer with architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the public regarding City development policies, standards, and guidelines.
- Perform development proposal inspections and related field work.
- Prepare staff reports and graphic displays.
- Take phone calls and inquiries from the public and other agencies; aid walk in customers at the counter.
- Research and draft resolutions and ordinances for review.
- Attend a variety of meetings, including Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment meetings and pre-development meetings.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of municipal planning; incorporate new developments as appropriate into programs.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree including or supplemented by twenty-one (21) semester hours credits in professional planning subjects such as the principles of land use planning, history of city planning, planning project design, planning law, and administration. Master’s in urban planning preferred.
Two (2) years of professional experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning.
NOTE: Possession of a current, valid license as a Professional Planner in New Jersey issued by the State Board of Professional Planners OR as a Certified Planner issued by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) may be substituted for the education requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of indicated experience.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication. Fluent in Spanish is a plus.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Residency requirement within 3 months of duty.
PLEASE ALSO SEE THE NJ CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION JOB SPECIFICATION FOR THIS TITLE. https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/16490.htm
How to Apply
SEND RESUME TO:
Department of Administration, Division of Personnel
City of Trenton
319 E. State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608-1866
PLEASE NO CALLS