Secretary Zoning Board of Appeals
Organization: Town of New Castle
Posted: October 28, 2019 | Closing: November 8, 2019
The Development Department within the Town of New Castle is seeking a qualified individual to serve as the Zoning Board Secretary under the direction of the Director of Planning. The Zoning Board Secretary provides general administrative support to the Zoning Board of Appeals. This position interacts with applicants, their attorney’s, engineers or other consultants. The Zoning Board Secretary acts as the main point of receipt for all materials related to Zoning Board applications/submissions and other matters to be scheduled before the Zoning Board. Working with the Director of Planning and the Building Inspector, the Zoning Board Secretary will coordinate the Zoning Board meeting agenda and organize the distribution of pertinent materials to the Zoning Board and associated referral entities relevant to each application. The Zoning Board Secretary prepares notices, takes the minutes of the Zoning Board meetings and drafts resolutions of approval.
The Zoning Board Secretary is responsible for maintaining all the records of the Zoning Board in an orderly fashion. These records include:
- Minutes of every meeting and public hearing.
- Audio recordings which are specified to be part of the official record
- Applications and supporting materials received from applicants
- Documents or other materials submitted by Applicants or others at public hearings,
- Correspondence to and from the Zoning Board
- Any other official documents and materials related to Zoning Board business.
Additional responsibilities of the position also relate to administrative support of the Environmental Review Board as well as serving as back-up assistance to the Office Manager in relation to customer service job responsibilities in the office.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Attributes: The candidate should have good knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal government organization, operation and function. Familiarity with office procedures, including the use of simple office machines and filing systems. Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite with a focus on Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook Email and Outlook Calendar; Experience in documenting conversations through the use of note taking or typing/keyboarding; Should have an excellent ability to organize, follow protocols and meet deadlines. The ability to deal effectively with people.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience: Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four years of secretarial experience; or (b) completion of a post-high school business or secretarial course and three (3) years of secretarial experience.
General Responsibilities of the Position
- Coordinates and advises applicants of submission requirements including process for notification and all necessary paperwork; Prepares and disseminates all meeting materials for the Zoning Board of Appeals members; keeps complete and accurate records of all proceedings.
- Attend all Zoning Board of Appeals meetings and hearings- The Zoning Board Secretary attends all Zoning Board of Appeals meetings to take minutes and handle the paperwork during meetings. The New Castle Zoning Board meets the last Wednesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in the New Castle Town Hall. The Board typically does not meet in August and may schedule additional meetings and public hearings as needed.
- Take and keep minutes of all Board proceedings-The Zoning Board Secretary will take notes at every meeting of the Zoning Board. Video records of meetings shall be stated in the written minutes. The Zoning Board Secretary’s notes, combined with the video recording will be used as the basis for preparing the official minutes of the meeting. Zoning Board Meeting minutes are to be drafted one week after the meeting. Once adopted by the Zoning Board, the minutes will be filed in the Official Minute Books.
- Sends out Notices of Public Hearings-The Zoning Board holds public hearings on a variety of topics, including consideration of land use applications (e.g., subdivisions, site plans and environmental permits). The Zoning Board secretary shall prepare notices, send the notice to applicants, abutters and the public. Notices must appear in the paper 5 days prior to the Public Hearing and must be submitted to the paper at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the publication date.
- Provides general office assistance, answers phones, checks email, files paperwork, maintains receipt book, tracks financial information, conducts billing and prepares account notices.
This position listed in the CSEA contract as Group 7 with a salary range of $56,365.17/year for Step 1 to $77,183.60/year at Step 5. This position will be eligible for overtime and other customary benefits (health care, vacation, personal leave, sick leave)
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to Lauren Cascone, Secretary to the Town Administrator, at: email@example.com or Town of New Castle, 200 South Greeley Avenue, Chappaqua, NY 10514. Facsimile submission will also be accepted at (914) 238-2354. Interested candidates must respond no later than 4:30pm Friday, November 8, 2019.