Secretary- Planning Board
Organization: Town of New Castle
Posted: July 1, 2019 | Closing: July 12, 2019
The Development Department within the Town of New Castle is seeking a qualified individual to serve as the Planning Board Secretary under the direction of the Director of Planning. The Planning Board Secretary provides general administrative support to the Planning Director and the Planning Board. This position interacts with applicants, their attorney’s, engineers or other consultants. The Planning Board Secretary acts as the main point of receipt for all materials related to Planning Board applications/submissions and other matters to be scheduled before the Planning Board. Working with the Director of Planning, the Planning Board Secretary will coordinate the Planning Board meeting agenda and organize the distribution of pertinent materials to the Planning Board and associated referral entities relevant to each application. The Planning Board Secretary prepares notices, takes the minutes of the Planning Board meetings and drafts resolutions of approval.
The Planning Board Secretary is responsible for maintaining all the records of the Planning Board in an orderly fashion. These records include:
• Minutes of every meeting and public hearing.
• Audio recordings which are specified to be part of the official record
• Applications and supporting materials received from applicants
• Documents or other materials submitted by Applicants or others at public hearings,
• Correspondence to and from the Planning Board
• Any other official documents and materials related to Planning Board business.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Attributes: The candidate should have good knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal government organization, operation and function. Familiarity with office procedures, including the use of simple office machines and filing systems. Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite with a focus on Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook Email and Outlook Calendar; Experience in documenting conversations through the use of note taking or typing/keyboarding; Should have an excellent ability to organize, follow protocols and meet deadlines. The ability to deal effectively with people.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience: Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and three years of experience in community planning work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience sufficient to indicate ability to do the work.
General Responsibilities of the Position
• Attend all Planning Board meetings and hearings- The Planning Board Secretary attends all Planning Board meetings, and public hearings to take minutes and handle the paperwork during meetings. The New Castle Planning Board holds meetings the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in the New Castle Town Hall. The Board typically does not meet in August and may schedule additional meetings and public hearings as needed.
• Take and keep minutes of all Board proceedings-The Planning Board Secretary will take notes at every meeting of the Planning Board. Video records of meetings shall be stated in the written minutes. The Planning Board Secretary’s notes, combined with the video recording will be used as the basis for preparing the official minutes of the meeting. Planning Board Meeting minutes are to be drafted one week after the meeting. Once adopted by the Planning Board, the minutes will be filed in the Official Minute Books.
• Sends out Notices of Public Hearings-The Planning Board holds public hearings on a variety of topics, including consideration of land use applications (e.g., subdivisions, site plans and environmental permits). The Planning Board secretary shall prepare notices, send the notice to applicants, abutters and the public. Notices must appear in the paper 5 days prior to the Public Hearing and must be submitted to the paper at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the publication date.
• Provides general office assistance, answers phones, checks email, files paperwork, maintains receipt book, tracks financial information, conducts billing and prepares account notices.
This position listed in the CSEA contract as Group 7 with a salary range of $56,365.17/year for Step 1 to $77,183.60/year at Step 5. This position will be eligible for overtime and other customary benefits (health care, vacation, personal leave, sick leave)
How to Apply
The Town of New Castle is currently accepting resumes from qualified persons interested in applying for the position of Secretary – Planning Board. The job description (above) captures the essence of the tasks a person in this position will be asked to perform. The Secretary – Planning Board position is full time at 37.5 hours per week, and the salary is commensurate with experience. The salary range is $56,365.17 – $77,183.60 annually.If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter and resume for further consideration by July 12, 2019 via email to email@example.com or by mail to 200 South Greeley Ave., Chappaqua, NY 10514.