SBS Neighborhood 360° Fellowship
Organization: NYC Department of Small Business Services
Posted: February 6, 2018 | Closing: March 4, 2018
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) helps unlock economic potential and create economic security for all New Yorkers by connecting New Yorkers to good jobs, creating stronger businesses, and building thriving neighborhoods across the five boroughs.
Neighborhood 360° Fellows help community-based organizations complete commercial revitalization projects and connect local stakeholders to City resources. The fellows are paid, full-time community development professionals, community organizers, or planners. We aim to build a network of leaders prepared with commercial revitalization expertise and experience in New York City neighborhoods.
Who Can Apply
We are looking for Fellows who meet these minimum criteria:
- New York City resident (within 90 days of the start date)
- One or more year(s) of community outreach, organizing, and/or planning experience
- Familiar with the placement neighborhoods. The 2018-2019 placement sites can be found below.
What Fellows Will Do
Neighborhood 360° Fellows are placed in New York City community-based organizations for 10 months to implement impactful commercial revitalization projects and better connect their stakeholders to City resources. Types of projects include:
- Business Attraction/Retention: Attract new businesses or retain existing businesses in order to ensure commercial corridors have a diverse retail mix to better serve the community and reduce the retail vacancy rate.
- Merchant Organizing: Lead the strategic planning, outreach, and organizing efforts to create a new, or revitalize an existing merchants association.
- Placemaking: Cultivate a sense of place that capitalizes on the unique characteristics of the commercial corridor, incorporating key traits of the neighborhood and activating public space for the community.
How to Apply
The application process involves two steps:
- Review the 2018-2019 host site placements and projects below.
- Go to the Neighborhood 360° Fellows application page, complete the form, and submit the following documents:
- Your resume
- Statement of interest – in no more than two pages, tell us why you are interested in working with the two host sites you selected in the application and what about your background and experiences have prepared you to be a Neighborhood 360° Fellow at both of these sites. If you have not reviewed the host site placement and proposed project information in the section below, please do so before submitting your application.
- Outreach plan – in no more than two pages, address the mentioned challenge in the 360ville neighborhood profile. Be sure to include in your plan a timeline for implementation, key stakeholders, ideas for actions or projects, and sample outcomes for impact measurement.
- Letter of recommendation
- Contact information for an additional reference (optional)
Applications are due by March 4, 2018, at 11:59 p.m.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session where staff will provide a comprehensive overview of the program and walk prospective applicants through the application process. Please be advised that the Prospective Fellow Meet & Greet on March 1 will be held at the offices of the NYC Department of Small Business Services, 110 William Street in Lower Manhattan.
- Webinar: Friday, February 9, 12:30PM – 1:30 PM (RSVP)
- Webinar: Tuesday, February 13, 1:00PM – 2:00PM (RSVP)
- Webinar: Wednesday, February 21, 12:00PM – 1:00PM (RSVP)
- Neighborhood 360° Fellow Meet & Greet: Thursday, March 1, 5:30PM – 7:30PM (RSVP)