Project Manager – Ports & Transportation
Organization: New York City Economic Development Corporation
Posted: March 11, 2019 | Closing: May 31, 2019
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
This full-time Project Manager position will be in the Ports and Transportation Department as part of a select team of passenger transportation planners who work alongside freight, waterfront, and development planners. This team imagines the best ways to move people in NYC through strategic collaborative transportation planning at its intersection with urban development.
Your Role: The Project Manager will work with interdisciplinary teams to develop and implement complex passenger transportation plans for new and existing development and infrastructure in NYC. This will include collaboration with other departments at NYCEDC, other agencies throughout government, consultants, and public stakeholders. The Project Manager will deliver transportation knowledge pertaining to planned and unplanned changes in NYC’s built environment and population, on policy and project levels, from theory to implementation. All relevant modes may be analyzed, including subways, buses, ferries, emerging modes, bikes, automobiles, and walking. The PM will also have the opportunity to work on select projects within the Ports and Transportation Department that involve freight and waterfront planning transportation elements. This is a unique opportunity to help align NYC’s transportation and development future.
This is a junior project development and management position with considerable responsibility and opportunity for growth. The ideal candidate will have some relevant professional and/or academic experience, interest in transportation, and an ability to take initiative and quickly increase their expertise and role. The transportation team will commit to your professional development through in-house trainings, conference attendance opportunities, and support with certifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Engage in project management and project support for complex transportation projects or the transportation components of larger NYCEDC or City projects. Duties will include:
- Report, presentation and memo preparation
- data analysis
- technical review of planning documents
- meeting preparation
- tracking project milestones and timelines
- off-site fieldwork
- team coordination across NYCEDC, consultants, and other stakeholders as well as potentially consultant supervision
- quick reaction to changing priorities and determination of courses of action based on new information.
- the ability to “figure it out” as a quick learner and driven self-starting problem starter
- other projects, tasks and duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in transportation, urban planning, real estate, public policy, environmental science, economics or related field, or significant related professional experience or graduate degree.
- 1+ year of professional experience in transportation, economic development, community planning and development, or equivalent is preferred. Relevant graduate coursework or internships may be substituted for up to 1 year of professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of and passion for transportation policies and programs in NYC and beyond.
- Knowledge of and interest in transportation’s intersection with broader infrastructure and economic development issues.
- General understanding of and experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process, preferably specific to NYC.
- Community relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment.
- Entrepreneurial and leadership ability.
- Expertise in project management.
- Fluency in the use of spreadsheets and presentation applications, including Excel and PowerPoint; experience with spatial/mapping platforms and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- New York City resident (required within 180 days of hire).
- Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, heavily-subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave, commitment to work-life balance, and discounted gym memberships and Broadway tickets.
How to Apply
apply here: https://www.nycedc.com/careers/jobs