Organization: Amtrak - Northeast Corridor Commission
Posted: January 29, 2019 | Closing: February 28, 2019
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Northeast Corridor Commission is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join its hard-working and enthusiastic staff. The Commission was established by Congress in the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 to coordinate the agencies that share the region’s core rail network. While the Commission has been administratively hosted by Amtrak since 2011, its staff is an independent team of transportation professionals.
This position will support the Commission’s service and infrastructure planning activities. A key focus will be developing plans and processes to support early-phase implementation of the vision for commuter and intercity service defined by the Selected Alternative in the Federal Railroad Administration’s (FRA) NEC FUTURE Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement. The position will support a consensus-driven planning process for NECC stakeholders, requiring extensive participation by the eight commuter railroads that operate on the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak, state departments of transportation, and USDOT.
This position will also support the alignment of service and infrastructure planning activities with ongoing NECC initiatives including, but not limited to, the development of five-year Capital Investment Plans, One-Year Implementation Plans, quarterly and annual reports, and implementation of the NEC Commuter and Intercity Rail Cost Allocation Policy.
This position is intended to be located in New York or Washington, DC.
• Support the development of a Strategic Development Plan (SDP) for the NEC, building off initial work performed by the FRA. The SDP will lay out objectives for service and infrastructure and describe a realistic and detailed strategy for implementation. In recognition of the risks of aging infrastructure, the SDP Update will focus on a first phase infrastructure plan that is aimed at restoring the corridor to a state of good repair while completing a targeted set of investments in capacity expansion and modernization. Activities for the SDP Update will include creating and overseeing a highly participatory planning process with the Commission’s member organizations. Technical analyses may include, but would not be limited to, current and future service levels; state of the infrastructure; scope, scale, and sequence of renewal projects; scope, scale, and sequence of improvement projects; impacts to service caused by infrastructure projects (and strategies to mitigate them); workforce needs; economic impacts; and funding/financing strategies.
• Support meetings with the Commission’s Planning Committee, made of NEC Commission members from USDOT, Amtrak and the nine member states, typically representing the most senior levels of their organizations. Support full Commission meetings as appropriate.
• Support working groups and other coordination activities with staff at various levels and in various roles and departments at stakeholder agencies as they gather, develop, refine, and communicate their service and infrastructure plans.
• Support management of consultants to supplement Commission staff resources. Consultant management will include the development of scopes of work, estimation of project budgets, oversight and/or participation in the consultant selection process, and day-to-day management of projects to ensure that projects are delivered on-time and on-budget.
• Support the development of Commission reports, presentations, and other materials through data analysis and the development of written material.
• Ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
• Consensus-based stakeholder facilitation and coordination.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills.
• Ability to translate technical analyses into meaningful and appropriate information for different audiences and purposes (staff-level coordination, executive-level action, education for elected officials and the public, etc.).
• Ability to multi-task effectively while remaining flexible in a fast-paced environment.
• Fluency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
How to Apply