Project Coordinator – Reimagine the Canals initiative
Organization: BuroHappold | Cities
Posted: June 20, 2019 | Closing: June 28, 2019
Working primarily on the Reimagine the Canals project, this is a fantastic opportunity for a recent graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree to gain experience in project coordination, stakeholder engagement, consultation with high-level strategic experts and facilitation of strategy sessions. If you’re an enthusiastic self-starter with a passion for the strategic planning of cities and the built environment, your next challenge is waiting for you at BuroHappold.
BuroHappold Cities is focused on shaping the urban centers of the future, and integrating strategies that enhance the built environment, natural resources and quality of life. We provide technical analyses, strategic planning, project management, and organization-building to help our clients tackle complex and often high profile challenges related to urban development. From visioning to implementation, we work alongside our private and public sector clients to develop tailor-made and highly effective solutions, providing expertise in policy design, sustainability and resiliency, infrastructure, land use, governance and operations. We take an interdisciplinary approach to each project, using data analytics, evidence-based planning, and stakeholder engagement to bring new ideas, critical thinking, leadership, facilitation skills and an understanding of what it takes for cities today to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
This position will be primarily focused on the Reimagine the Canals project, an effort to reposition the New York State Canal System as a recreation and economic development asset for the 21st Century. A Task Force has been convened by Governor Cuomo to assess potential strategies for the canal system. The BuroHappold Cities team will be coordinating and facilitating a sequence of convenings and community engagement.
What will I be doing?
· Coordinate scheduling and develop agendas for meetings between key project team members and internal and external teams
· Support the organization of a large and complex community and stakeholder engagement process with technical experts and senior officials
· Research and project coordination for assignments that involve strategic planning, engineering, and policy tasks
· Support the project director and deputy director on the coordination and preparation of materials for workshops with expert panels around environmental, resiliency, and planning projects
· Research and develop policy reviews and technical analysis in collaboration with senior and junior project staff members
· Support the creation of reports, presentations, models, and other deliverables for key stakeholders and client teams
What are we looking for?
· Academic and/or internship experience in the fields of consulting, infrastructure, urban planning, resiliency, sustainability, and/or public policy
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in planning, engineering, public policy or similar
· Academic and/or internship experience studying or working on multi-disciplinary projects in urban development and/or infrastructure
· Strong intra-personal skills and the ability to communicate and interact professionally
· A background of critical analytic thinking skills
· A proactive and collaborative working style and strong team player approach
· Strong demonstration of written and oral communications skills
· A passion for cities and a curiosity about the challenges built environments face today
· Knowledge of New York City and State a plus
This is a full-time 6-month position for the duration of the Task Force project from June 2019 to December 2019, with the potential for extension based on performance.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Shivam Jumani (email@example.com).