Program Manager, Commercial Revitalization
Organization: Bay Ridge 5th Avenue BID
Posted: April 25, 2019 | Closing: May 22, 2019
The Commercial Revitalization Program Manager will help Bay Ridge 5th Avenue Business Improvement District, develop, design, and deliver commercial revitalization programs and services as part of the organization’s three-year Avenue NYC Commercial Revitalization grant funded by the New York City Department of Small Businesses Services. Avenue NYC grants strengthen community-based development organizations (CBDOs) to carry out commercial revitalization programs in low- and moderate-income communities. The Program Manager will be responsible for leading a commercial district needs assessment process of Bay Ridge’s commercial corridor(s) and spearheading a process to analyze the data collected through the needs assessment and engage community stakeholders. Following the completion of the needs assessment, the Program Manager will work in partnership with the organization’s leadership to develop and implement various commercial revitalization projects that will address the needs identified by the assessment. The Program Manager will be part of a cohort of Avenue NYC grant-funded program managers dedicated to executing commercial revitalization programs in commercial districts across New York City.
The position is full-time and will report to the Executive Director. Applicants must be available to begin work by July 1, 2019. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate commercial revitalization programs serving Bay Ridge, Brooklyn; including but not limited to merchant organizing and engagement, business support and retention, public space activation and management, and commercial district marketing and promotion;
- Assess neighborhood conditions and needs by gathering and analyzing commercial district data through a rigorous district needs assessment process;
- Develop communication materials for local businesses, residents, and other stakeholders highlighting events or relevant services and programs;
- Facilitate conversations with a wide range of stakeholders on a range of complex issues and projects that impact 5th Avenue from 65-85th
- Build community partnerships through in-person meetings and attendance at community events, including; special events, precinct council meetings, community board meetings;
- Liaise regularly with multiple City agencies including SBS, NYCHA, DOT, FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, and others to leverage resources and acquire the necessary support for projects and initiatives;
- Engage community stakeholders and partner organizations in designated commercial corridor efforts;
- Track and measure program metrics and impact;
- Participate in a series of cohort trainings and site visits focused on professional development and commercial revitalization best practices;
- Connect local stakeholders to additional economic development resources offered by the City of New York;
- Other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will effectively demonstrate:
- Two or more years of experience with commercial revitalization, community nonprofits, community-based planning and organizing, and/or neighborhood development issues;
- Familiarity with Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
- Commitment to engaging diverse constituents in low- and moderate-income communities; be interested in understanding the different perspectives and needs of diverse community stakeholders.
- Strong aptitude for interpreting data and data trends;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governmental agencies, elected officials, non-profit organizations and other community groups;
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and provide timely and clear updates to supervisors;
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through;
- Ability to complete tasks and projects with tight deadlines;
- Demonstrate a passion and commitment to creating and maintaining strong, vibrant neighborhoods and commercial corridors;
- An ability to be flexible and willingness to wear “multiple hats” if and when needed;
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work some weekends and evenings, if needed;
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Competence in Spanish, Arabic or Chinese preferred
- Knowledge of successful community organizing, consensus and coalition building techniques and best practices;
- Experience with and knowledge of digital/social media marketing and campaigns;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS.
- Experience with data collection, analytics and visualization.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of full-time experience in one or more of the following fields: urban planning, community organizing, public administration, project management; real estate
- An associate degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of three years of full-time experience in one of the above fields;
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
Salary commensurate with experience
Paid Vacation & Sick Leave
How to Apply
Submit the following documents to email@example.com.
Please submit all documents as PDFs and write “Commercial Revitalization Program Manager” in the subject line.
• Cover letter
• List of (3) references. (2) business (1) Personal
• Writing Sample: Please answer one of the following questions in 500 words or less.
What makes Bay Ridge a vibrant commercial corridor?
What type of community activity/event would you recommend to increase foot traffic into brick and mortar businesses in Bay Ridge?