Program Administrator (Community Development)
Organization: City of Peekskill
Posted: June 5, 2018 | Closing: June 15, 2018
Assists the Director of Planning or other designated officials in the administration and implementation of the municipality’s Community Development program and other grant and planning work; does related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Discovers and evaluates various sources of funding for community development, infrastructure and other projects;
- Prepares grant applications including project scopes, budgets and resolutions;
- Conducts research and prepares reports for the implementation of community development and grants projects, including RFPs, grant requirements, and financial analyses;
- Oversees consultants, contractors, inspectors and Committees, and coordinates the steps in project planning and management to lead a project through to implementation;
- Reviews and evaluates proposals and permit requirements for community development and grants projects;
- Maintains regular contact with various state, county, municipal, and community funding agencies;
- Prepares contracts and may conduct interviews with contractors/employees in accordance with Federal requirements (ADA, Davis-Bacon, Wicks laws, etc.);
- Prepares, maintains and files documents (claims, vouchers, payroll records, budgets, reporting, etc.) for grant management and reimbursement of program expenditures from funding source.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF POSITION: Under general supervision, the incumbent performs moderately complex work in the administration, operation and oversight of municipal community development and grants programs. An incumbent of this position is responsible for coordinating the implementation and management of one or more Community Development and grant projects. This position requires frequent exercise of independent judgment within established policies and procedures. Dependent upon size and scope of the municipality’s Community Development and grants programs, supervision may be exercised over subordinate personnel.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES: Good knowledge of the general principles, practices and techniques used in Community Development Block Grant programs and other State and Federal grant programs; ability to organize, develop, analyze and interpret both physical and research data; ability to manage budgets for grant projects; ability to carry out grant requirements for planning and construction projects; ability to effectively give both oral and written presentations; ability to interpret rules, regulations and policies; ability to organize and direct the work of others, including consultants, contractors and Committees; initiative, imagination; tact; physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position.
(As adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department)
A Bachelor’s Degree* and two (2) years of work experience that involved planning or project management for community development programs and/or procurement and administration of public or private grants.
SUBSTITUTION: A Master’s Degree* in Public Administration, Business Administration, Planning, or related
field may be substituted for one (1) year of the work experience described above.
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, only experience gained after attaining the minimum education level indicated in the minimum qualifications will be considered in evaluating experience.
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a Letter of Interest, City of Peekskill Application, Résumé, and Writing Sample to the City of Peekskill Human Resources Department, 840 Main Street, Peekskill, NY 10566. Please submit this material via e-mail to the Department of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the Department of Planning at email@example.com. Employment Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Office or the City’s website (Human Resources Department): http://www.cityofpeekskill.com/sites/peekskillny/files/file/file/application_employeement.pdf
There are no residency requirements to participate in the application process, but preference in appointment may be given to qualified candidates that have been City of Peekskill residents for at least 30 days prior to the effective date of appointment.