Organization: City of Yonkers
Posted: August 25, 2023 | Closing: September 30, 2023
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position is responsible for directing and maintaining comprehensive development plans. The work includes planning, assigning, scheduling, and evaluating planning projects concerning the improvement of various socioeconomic and environmental issues. An incumbent in this position is also responsible for planning and directing research studies related to comprehensive developmental policies and concerns. While the ability to make independent decisions is a requirement, general supervision is received from administrative personnel. General supervision is exercised over assigned personnel. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Interprets and analyzes zoning ordinances, master plans, subdivision regulations, and urban renewal plans, and may make recommendations on revisions;
- Administers and coordinates the operating functions of the department;
- Supervises the training of staff in planning methods and procedures, establishing deadlines, monitoring progress, providing technical assistance, and evaluating completed studies;
- Directs the graphic work section by assigning and scheduling the preparation and layout of presentation graphics, including base maps and charts requested by other departments;
- Answers official requests for information by conducting interviews/presentations, preparing reports, and appearances;
- Meets with local officials and personnel from other planning agencies to discuss and review problems of mutual concern;
- Administers and participates in grant application procedures by providing professional expertise in planning, implementing, and evaluating federally funded programs.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of sociological, economic, and environmental factors as they relate to urban planning;
- Thorough knowledge of State and local laws and ordinances pertaining to zoning and land subdivision;
- Thorough knowledge of the duties and functions of planning and zoning boards;
- Ability to plan, conduct, and evaluate physical and research planning studies and projects;
- Ability to analyze and interpret physical and research planning, zoning, and subdivision data;
- Ability to direct and coordinate design activities dealing with presentation graphics;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of staff involved in development functions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; good judgment; initiative; resourcefulness; tact; courtesy;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered graduate school with a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Economics, Architecture, Engineering, or a related field and seven (7) years of experience in city planning, community development, urban renewal, or related experience, and four (4) years of supervisory experience; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Economics, Architecture, Engineering, or a related field and nine (9) years of experience as described in (A), and four (4) years of supervisory experience; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Economics, Architecture, Engineering, or a related field and eleven (11) years of experience as described in (A) and (B), and four (4) years of supervisory experience; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) through (C).
CLASSIFICATION: COMPETITIVE (Provisional – Exam Required)
How to Apply
Please send resumes to:
1 Larkin Ctr 2nd Fl
Yonkers, NY 10701