Organization: City of Hoboken
Posted: January 1, 2019 | Closing: January 22, 2019
Under direction, performs Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis along with other separate routine and noncomplex field and office planning work involved in preparing and making surveys, and collecting and compiling data; assists in transposing statistical data into visual form; does related work as required.
NOTE: The definition and examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Develop, maintain, edit, update, and coordinate GIS data to support planning related projects.
- Produce maps, charts and other graphic information displays, including info-graphics; integrate into written reports on topics such as census information, demographic data, land use and development, zoning, and transportation information.
- Attend meetings and make public presentations.
- Remain current in latest cartographic and GIS related technologies; research new technologies and make recommendations to the department for software, implementation and advancement in the fields of GIS and cartography; perform other duties as assigned.
- Serving as the City of Hoboken’s Municipal Housing Liaison, which involves oversight and administration of the City’s affordable housing program.
- Serving on the City of Hoboken’s Homelessness Task Force, creating and implementing various programs to mitigate homelessness within the City of Hoboken.
- Coordinating with County, State, and federal officials for various projects.
- Perform complex analyses of data specific to project demands or requests from staff.
- Performs tasks involved in transposing statistical data into forms suitable for the preparation of maps and charts.
- Maintains essential records and files.
Applicants will require a master’s degree with two years of experience in the Urban Planning, Public Administration, Public Policy or a related field from an accredited college or university. Equivalent combination of a bachelor’s degree and four years of professional planning experience is acceptable.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- GIS principles, applications and database development;
- GIS software including ArcGIS desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Model Builder; Knowledge of scripting languages (VBA, Python, etc.) desirable;
- Methods and resources to research and acquire geospatial, census and demographic data;
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in planning work.
- Knowledge of approved methods of compiling and interpreting data for the purpose of writing factual reports.
- Ability to accept responsibility for the accuracy of the concerned work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff members, project participants, and sponsors.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out written and oral directions.
- Ability to learn quickly from written and oral explanations and from demonstrations.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
How to Apply
All interested applicants should forward their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org