Part-Time Assistant Planner
Organization: Village of Mamaroneck
Posted: February 29, 2020 | Closing: March 3, 2020
Job Opening – Part-Time Assistant Planner, Planning Department
About the Village of Mamaroneck
The Village of Mamaroneck is a suburban community located on the Long Island Sound with a compact and
walkable downtown, a working industrial area, and several residential neighborhoods. The Village is highly
transit connected with speedy access to Manhattan via Metro North Railroad and Intra-County connections
serviced by Westchester County’s Bee-Line bus system. The Village’s downtown is a hub for cultural
institutions, entertainment, shopping and dining. In recent years the Village of Mamaroneck has initiated many
innovative planning activities including the adoption of adaptive reuse zoning, a wayfinding signage master
plan and strategic economic development planning for commercial districts. Presently, the Village is in the
process of two major planning initiatives 1) updating the Comprehensive Plan to increase focus on climate
change, resilience and sustainability and 2) implementation of the industrial area revitalization.
About the Part-Time Assistant Planner Position
The Village of Mamaroneck is seeking enthusiastic candidates for an Assistant Planner in the Planning
Department. The position provides the opportunity to be involved in a diverse range of planning and GIS
activities from innovative zoning techniques, environmental and economic development planning, to geospatial
analysis and long-range planning. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Director of
Planning. The duties will include but not limited to:
• Assisting the Director of Planning with research and data gathering to assist the Village Board of
Trustees in reviewing policy matters.
• Updating and maintaining GIS and other databases.
• Preparing maps, reports, environmental and economic development studies.
• Performing special projects as directed by the Village Manager or Director of Planning.
• Assisting with preparing baseline data for grant applications or for the administration of grant projects.
• Respond to GIS data and mapping requests by various departments.
The Ideal Candidate
• Must have excellent verbal and written communications and will be able translate complex concepts
and issues into plain language.
• Must be well-organized and detail-oriented
• Must be proficient in ArcMap and other ESRI GIS products
• Must have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Must be enthusiastic and customer service oriented.
• Must perform with a high level of professionalism.
Hours and Compensation
This is a part-time position working up to 18.5 hours a week. Office hours are Monday- Friday 9am- 5pm,
however, flexible hours outside of normal office hours may be considered. The rate of pay is $27 per hour.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience
Either: (a) Bachelor’s Degree* and one (1) year of experience in which the primary function of the position was
urban or regional planning, architecture, engineering, or a related field; or (b) Bachelor’s Degree* in City,
Urban, or Regional Planning, Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Traffic or similar), Architecture, Landscape
Architecture, Geography or a related field.
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, only experience gained after attaining the minimum
education level indicated in the minimum qualifications will be considered in evaluating
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution
recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Department of
Education as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
How to Apply
Please submit the follow to be considered:
• Cover Letter
• Provide 1 writing sample and 1 mapping sample
• Two references (including daytime phone numbers)
Please also note that this is a competitive Civil Service title. If you are hired, you are required to take a
Civil Service exam, when it is offered for this position.
The Village of Mamaroneck is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is fully committed to maintaining a
workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, gender, religion, age, color, national origin,
disability, sexual orientation, and other non-merit factors. All persons applying for employment and employed
by the Village shall be afforded equal employment opportunity in initial employment and consideration for
Please email your completed application no later than Tuesday, March 3, 2020 to Danielle Gilliard, Human
Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.