Outreach Coordinator for GreenThumb
Organization: NYC Parks
Posted: September 8, 2019 | Closing: September 27, 2019
Title: Outreach Coordinator for GreenThumb
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing over 30,000 acres, or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ball fields, basketball courts, athletic fields, and pools. GreenThumb provides property management, technical assistance, educational workshops, and material support to community gardeners throughout New York City. Supporting over 550 community gardens and 20,000 volunteer gardeners, GreenThumb is the largest community gardening program in the country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under the general direction of the Assistant Director, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform all aspects of community engagement with garden groups, external organizations, and the general public.
- In cooperation with the Assistant Director, prepare and execute an engagement strategy to engage a portfolio of community gardens located throughout New York City.
- Build relationships with and among gardeners, greening groups, community organizations and city agencies
- Represent GreenThumb to the general public by expanding awareness of and participating in community gardenin
- Work with garden groups to develop and implement long-term goals.
- Assist garden groups with organizational development and support, capacity building and dispute resolution.
- Support garden groups with technical and educational support and help coordinate garden volunteer projects.
- Oversee licensing and registration of garden groups and perform annual site inspections at licensed gardens.
- Perform research, analyze data, prepare reports and complete tasks as assigned in areas related to urban gardening.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community-centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community-centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to the duties described above.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in community gardening, horticulture, community organizing, outreach or related field.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience working with community groups and city agencies.
- Availability to work a flexible work schedule, including events on evenings and weekends, as required.
- Ability to work outdoors in gardens when required.
- Proficiency with managing multiple assignments with competing deadlines.
- Second language a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Valid New York State driver license.
Salary: $52,524 – $60,403 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 9/27/2019
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
How to Apply
Please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
Search for Job ID#: 409642