Housing Development Project Manager
Organization: Brooklyn Community Services
Posted: February 1, 2021 | Closing: February 28, 2021
Founded in 1866, Brooklyn Community Services (BCS) empowers children and families to reach their full potential, strengthen families, and foster self-sufficiency in adults. With programs in over 30 locations, BCS serves more than 20,000 individuals a year. Our mission is to empower at-risk children, youth and families, and adults with mental illness or developmental disabilities, to overcome the obstacles they face, as we work together to ensure opportunity for all to learn, grow and contribute to ONE Brooklyn Community. An experienced provider of supportive services for residential facilities, BCS is currently building its capacity to participate in the development of supportive and affordable housing.
The position of Housing Development Project Manager is a critical, visible position requiring experience in residential property development. The Project Manager will manage the start-up and transition phases of various affordable and/or supportive housing projects and will work with BCS development partners to create new construction affordable housing. The Project Manager will complete funding applications and proposals for capital, design and operational funding. He/she will be responsible for due diligence and compliance for all new housing investment, liaising with relevant governmental and financial agencies. The Project Manager will oversee day-to day administration, to successfully complete projects under construction, as well as start -up and transition of supportive housing developments to deliver successful, fully operational affordable housing.
- This position will report to the COO and be the staff liaison to the real estate committee of the BCS Board of Directors
- Research and identify viable funding sources to support project development and completion.
- Manage preparation and submittal of complete funding applications and grant proposals, including organizing and assembling reports, attachments, graphics, budgets, narratives, letters, certifications, and other documentation, as needed.
- Manage RFPs, selection and negotiations related to lender and equity investments.
- Provide leadership as a member of executive project team in negotiations with lenders, investors, and grantors while incorporating reviews and approvals from multiple departments within the organization.
- Navigate project through public approval processes, Initiate and lead in community outreach and engagement work, including making presentations to community groups, the City Planning Commission, City Council, and various committees and review agencies.
- Act as agency liaison with governmental entities for development projects (e.g., HPD, DHCR, HUD).
- Assist in evaluating and hiring a team of qualified, quality architects, general contractors and other project consultants for each project.
- Ensure compliance with development schedule.
- Manage transition of completed projects through development phase to operations.
- Manage post-construction capital needs assessment and coordinate with property management team.
- Maintain historical data on completed developments for cost records.
- Oversee scheduling and coordination of marketing and lease up of properties.
- Ensure successful close out of funding and investor requirements.
- Maintain relevant knowledge of housing programs, new materials, changes in building code, processes, environmentally friendly advances and methods of construction.
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- BA or BS in a field such as construction management, architecture, engineering, planning and/or business management plus 5 years commensurate experience, or Master’s in related field with 3 years experience.
- Three to five years of progressive development and construction management experience, including at least two years in a lead capacity.
How to Apply