Organization: Karp Strategies
Posted: August 4, 2020 | Closing: August 7, 2020
Karp Strategies – Job Posting for Graduate Analyst (Graduate Student Intern) – Data/Market Analysis and Data Visualization, Fall 2020
Karp Strategies is an urban planning strategy consulting firm that builds stronger communities and thriving cities. We partner with our cross-sector clients to identify their unique needs and provide tailored solutions. We take analysis to action to allow our clients to make better decisions – and ultimately, to build stronger communities and better cities. We deeply value our holistic analytic methods, and maintain strong core values that equity and upside can go hand in hand when working on planning and development projects. We work on projects around the country, with projects currently underway or starting across the NYC region, Atlanta, and greater Boston. Our team works at the sweet spot where data, people, and place intersect: we strive to understand what drives change in places, and how people, businesses, and institutions exist and can thrive within that change.
Karp Strategies celebrated five years in June 2020, and we’ve grown tremendously since inception from one person to a team of 14. Due to COVID-19, we are working remotely through 2020 with the hopes of returning to our offices in Manhattan’s Financial District in 2021. This position will be fully remote, with access to tools to ensure great remote work, and could change to in-office in 2021 if safety and health circumstances change. We value and celebrate diversity and inclusion in our team. Karp Strategies is active in the field: our team members are involved with APA-NY’s Urban Design and Diversity Committees, ABNY, IEDC, NYBC, CoreNet, OHNY, RPA, Coro, ULI….let’s just say we are plugged into the action and keep our finger on the pulse.
With current projects ranging from economic and community development planning initiatives to stakeholder analysis and engagement, from infrastructure feasibility and resiliency studies to real estate advisory, Karp Strategies is working with many of the industry’s most dynamic partner firms and clients on pressing, timely challenges facing the country, region, and our city.
As our company kicks off additional projects, we seek to meet thinkers and doers interested in joining us who care as much about urban change and neighborhoods as we do. Karp Strategies is actively interviewing for a PT Graduate Analyst (Graduate Student Intern). Graduate Analysts support projects through research and writing, data analysis and visualization, engagement/facilitation support, and through supporting business development and marketing initiatives.
Likely Daily Tasks (Project Dependent):
Analysts are responsible for the following types of tasks and assignments:
- Support or lead data analysis of all kinds: economic, demographic, real estate, market. Determine what kind of changes are going on in neighborhoods and what those changes mean.
- Support qualitative analysis, stakeholder engagement, and research, including focus groups, interviews, briefings, desktop research, and meetings, to triangulate data or as standalone project. Design training guides for facilitators. Manage related logistics and support, including preparation of engagement and analysis materials.
- Project manage the heck out of whatever you are working on, utilizing schedules, project plans, shared file systems, and communication apps. Analysts often play an assistant project manager role on larger projects.
- Design infographics, data visualizations, and graphic representations of policy, process, and analytical findings to support client projects, business development efforts, and other initiatives with Adobe Suite programs.
- Work in a start-up environment with a close-knit team and our project partners on misc. tasks, big or small, as they arise.
- Support business development efforts, including proposal research/writing, research on partner firms, site visits, as needed.
What We Seek
To excel in this position, interested candidates should demonstrate 1-5 years of work experience in the above areas and/or equivalent training in school, with an emphasis on data/market analysis and data visualization, and background either with government, non-profit, community planning organizations, private sector, consulting, or a related field. Fluency in Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign, is highly desired. Proficiency or excellence in Excel and other data analytics is highly preferred. A Bachelor’s degree, and enrollment in graduate school is required. Successful candidates in this role are likely individuals who love fast paced work with people who love what they do, and who love working together – we are some of the most engaged, passionate people around. We expect you to remotely work with us 20-25 hours/week during the school semester.
- Strong writing and/or design experience is a must to given the range of projects and client types.
- Experience working with traditionally underserved populations is preferred.
- Multilingual written and oral skills (particularly Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Fujinese, and Russian) are highly regarded as part of our work with diverse communities across the country.
- A deep curiosity about planning issues and an interest in incorporating an equity lens to our work is strongly encouraged.
Likely Content Areas (Project Dependent):
- Shoreline stabilization/activation + resiliency
- Transformative public spaces and open space design
- Offshore wind
- Economic and community revitalization
- Real estate analysis and advisory
- Zoning analysis
- Affordable housing
- Port/waterfront industry
- Catalytic transportation redevelopment
- Workforce development
- Small businesses/industrial/manufacturing districts and access
- Stakeholder engagement
- Areas you are interested in!
If these piques your interest, we’d love to hear from you. Applications will be accepted from July 22 – August 7. Interviews will be conducted immediately on a rolling basis. Karp Strategies will contact you if you are being considered for a position. As PDF attachments, please send a professional resume, letter of interest, and work samples (writing AND data/design) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete application packages will be considered. If you possess language skills beyond English, please share a demonstration of your capabilities. While doing all these tasks/project types previously is not a hiring requirement, having some experience is advantageous and expected. Fluency in the Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign, and in leading stakeholder engagement initiatives, is required.
We encourage all who are interested to apply.
This job description is for an at-will position which is exempt under the FLSA. Karp Strategies provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment regardless of their age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, partnership status, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence status, sex offense of stalking victim status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted from July 22 – August 7. Interviews will be conducted immediately on a rolling basis. Karp Strategies will contact you if you are being considered for a position. As PDF attachments, please send a professional resume, letter of interest, and work samples (writing AND data/design) to email@example.com. Only complete application packages will be considered. If you possess language skills beyond English, please share a demonstration of your capabilities. While doing all these tasks/project types previously is not a hiring requirement, having some experience is advantageous and expected. Fluency in the Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign, and in leading stakeholder engagement initiatives, is required.