Executive Director – Pine Barrens
Organization: Suffolk County Water Authority
Posted: October 10, 2020 | Closing: December 31, 2020
The Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission seeks an Executive Director. The Commission contracts with SCWA for in-kind services including staffing and the selected candidate will be a SCWA employee. The employee’s specific responsibilities include direct oversight of the management and protection of the ecological and water resources of the Central Pine Barrens, a state-designated natural resource area located in Suffolk County, under jurisdiction of and directed by its Central Pine Barrens Commission.
• Oversees the overall day-to-day operation of the Division and manages its staff to ensure the goals, objectives and day to day staff work responsibilities are carried out in an optimal, cost effective and efficient manner.
• Performs annual reviews of staff performance.
• Participates in and provides guidance and support for Central Pine Barrens Commission meetings and programs.
• Forges, maintains and enhances working relationships with federal, state and local officials and agencies to ensure Commission land use policies, goals and objectives, as required by NYS law and a comprehensive land use plan, are appropriately implemented to ensure protection of Central Pine Barrens natural resources and that appropriate land use development, public lands management and stewardship occurs within this area.
• Oversees development, design and implementation of stewardship programs, including a prescribed fire program, to address environmental and natural resource issues, on a cooperative basis with key public land management agencies, that promote protection, conservation and ecological health of the Central Pine Barrens regionally.
• Directs and supervises the investigation of and response to land use and environmental complaints and violations.
• Undertakes strategic and long-range planning and scientific research to ensure the protection of the natural resources of the Central Pine Barrens.
• Ensures that appropriate contracting, procurement, record keeping, office management, insurance, and legal requirements are followed for the Division.
• 5+ years’ experience in Natural Resource/Environmental Management and Protection, Land Use Planning or related field
• Bachelor’s degree in Natural/Environmental Sciences, Resource Conservation, Planning or related field.
• Preferred – experience of five or more years working in the public/government sector in areas related to natural resource management, public lands management, resource conservation or related area.
• Demonstrated three or more years working in a supervisory or managerial capacity.
• Possesses outstanding strategic thinking, planning and communication skills.
• Innovator/action-oriented leader who demonstrates collaborative teamwork, flexibility, adaptability and creativity.
• Knowledge of environmental management and environmental planning principles and methods.
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state and municipal laws, regulations and regulatory codes relevant to environmental protection and management.
• Proficient in MS Office, verbal and written communication.
** The Authority may accept an equivalent combination of education and experience to meet the requirements**
How to Apply