Organization: Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
Posted: August 25, 2023 | Closing: October 31, 2023
Langan provides expert land development engineering and environmental consulting services for major developers, renewable energy producers, energy companies, corporations, healthcare systems, colleges/universities, and large infrastructure programs throughout the U.S. and around the world. Our employees collaborate seamlessly among 30+ offices and gain valuable hands-on experience that fosters career growth. Langan culture is entrepreneurial from advancing innovative technical solutions, to participating in robust training and knowledge sharing, to making progressive change within the communities we live and work.
Consistently ranked among the top ten “Best Firms to Work For” and Engineering News-Record’s top 50 firms worldwide, Langan attracts and retains the best talent in the industry. Employees thrive at Langan, a firm that embraces and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion; prioritizes wellbeing, health and safety; encourages volunteerism and philanthropy; offers workplace flexibility, along with carbon neutral office spaces; and empowers individuals to contribute their skills and knowledge to make impactful contributions.
Langan is seeking an Environmental/Urban Planner to join its collaborative team in New York City. This individual will serve a key function in assisting Langan’s Land Use Planning team and its clients through the land use and environmental review processes in the New York City metropolitan area. In this role, you will have the opportunity to strengthen your environmental review and urban planning skills in a dynamic environment on a range of both public and private land development projects.
- Develop an understanding of NYC’s land use review process and a working knowledge of City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR) in New York City;
- Conduct analyses and write portions of CEQR Environmental Assessment Statements, Environmental Impact Statements, and other environmental review documentation;
- Interpret zoning and other land use instruments in New York City;
- Prepare site specific due diligence studies;
- Conduct environmental reviews pursuant to the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) or the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA);
- Support Langan’s waterfront engineering practice in a planning and permitting capacity;
- Prepare Scope of Services (proposal) documents;
- Meet prescribed deadlines and manage a workload across projects; and
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Urban Planning or closely related field such as Environmental Policy; equivalent experience may be considered if degrees are in other disciplines;
- AICP Certification, enrollment in the AICP Candidate Program, or an interest to pursue AICP Certification in the near future;
- 1 to 3 years of experience;
- Basic understanding of the environmental review process at the City, State, and Federal levels. Experience with environmental review or land use review a plus, especially within New York City;
- Basic to intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Basic skills in GIS and Adobe Illustrator, or similar programs. Additional basic skills in Sketchup, CAD, or script writing a plus;
- Energetic and eager learner with a professional demeanor;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, analyze data, and develop recommendations; and
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
Langan provides a rich array of programs and benefits to help its employees advance their careers and enhance the quality of their lives. Our comprehensive compensation package includes: full-time employment company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage; life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and paid pregnancy disability leave; 401(k)/Roth with company match; paid time off including parental and military leave; employee referral and professional license bonuses; and educational reimbursement.
Langan offers employee resource groups; flexible work schedules; extensive training; wellness programs; buddy and mentoring programs; and much more!
Langan is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents and values diverse backgrounds. Langan promotes a positive work environment of inclusion, where we respect each other’s differences and recognize that a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment is a key to our success.
Base Salary Range: $73,000 – $86,000. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as related work experience, market conditions, education/training, certifications and other credentials, as well as applicable knowledge and skills. This position is also eligible for straight-time overtime and participation in the firm’s annual bonus and performance review program. Bonuses are discretionary and based on individual job performance and the profitability of the firm.
How to Apply