Engineer – Traffic Engineering
Organization: The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Posted: January 30, 2020 | Closing: February 24, 2020
Join one of the most diverse, award-winning innovative traffic engineering groups in the country. The Port Authority Traffic Engineering group is an award-winning national-leader in innovative planning, design and operations of the most critical links of a multi-modal regional transportation network in the greater New York City area.
Responsibilities can include supporting the delivery of an ambitious 30+ Billion-dollar Capital program at some of the most constrained and busiest transportation facilities in the world, working on mega-projects such as the Port Authority Bus Terminal Replacement, EWR, JFK and LaGuardia Airport redevelopment efforts, Restoring the George Washington Bridge Program, and Replacement of the Lincoln Tunnel Helix. Work can also include supporting the awardwinning Port Authority Traffic Safety Improvement Program, and involvement in innovating ways to integrate technology into our facilities. The selected candidate will be expected to possess an innovative, industry-leading, “can-do” mindset, to support the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to continue to lead the traffic engineering industry.
Under the supervision of the Principal Traffic Engineer, the successful candidate will work as part of an integrated Port Authority and consultant team to deliver well-rounded traffic engineering work such as traffic planning studies, traffic operations initiatives, safety studies, and transportation technology and data analytics projects and initiatives.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Apply knowledge of traffic planning concepts of data collection, capacity analysis, geometric design, traffic forecasting, traffic modeling and simulation, and trip assignments, to prepare and/or review planning studies, reports, and functional design plans.
- Apply knowledge of data analytics and reporting, to interpret traffic data sets and produce reports highlighting trends and patterns in the areas of traffic safety, operations, planning and asset management.
- Apply knowledge of traffic operations concepts of traffic control devices, traffic signal systems, temporary traffic control zones, access management, transportation systems management, traffic ITS, and roadway inventory data management/asset management, to assess traffic flow, capacity, control, and guidance issues and design appropriate countermeasures.
- Develop, review, and/or manage traffic-related scopes of work, budgets, and schedules for roadway design projects, rehabilitation projects, or work orders; prepare contract drawings, technical specifications and cost estimates; prepare Traffic Management plans and Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) documents; audit traffic engineering design documents prepared by consultants.
- Apply knowledge of traffic safety concepts of crash site analysis, crash data analysis, road safety auditing, speed management, countermeasure development, and countermeasure effectiveness evaluation, to prepare and/or review safety studies, reports, and conceptual design sketches.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible traffic engineering and data analytics work.
- Experience in working with data sets; and ability to produce data driven reports
- Experience must include work in data analytics, traffic signal system design, traffic safety, traffic planning, traffic operations, or traffic ITS.
- Possess a valid auto driver license.
Ideal candidates will present the following qualifications profile:
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with analytics visualization tools, preferably MS Power BI
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; experience with CAD, GIS, and databases.
- Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments, with prior experience supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Possess Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by following the link below and clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.