Editorial and Content Manager
Posted: January 8, 2019 | Closing: January 8, 2019
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, non-motorized travel, travel demand management, parking, transport policy and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
The Editorial and Content Manager is a new position within the global communications team based at ITDP headquarters in New York City and will be primarily responsible for curating regular content for ITDP’s website, blogs, print magazine, as well as print and online newsletter, and for assisting the Global Communications Director in disseminating targeted stories to industry press. This position requires a journalist- style approach, pitching and developing story ideas into content, with the aim of promoting the breadth and depth of ITDP’s work for sustainable transportation in cities where we work around the world. In addition, this position will support the programs, development and management teams with various writing projects as needed.
The Editorial and Content Manager will report to the Global Communications Director. S/he will be expected to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with senior leadership, program staff across the organization internationally, consultants, partners and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
Writing & Editing
• Research, write and post two blogs per week to itdp.org, working with global and field office communications for content and images and coordinating with communications team on strategy.
• Coordinate with field office staff to write and post weekly internal program updates.
• Work with global team on best practice case studies, policy briefs and other support as needed.
• Support the US program team with assistance creating workshop materials and other projects as needed.
• Serve as the copy chief for the communications team, ensuring high quality content free of spelling, grammar, punctuation and factual errors.
• Work with communications director on high-level projects such as press releases, speeches and talking points for senior staff and partners.
• Lead the annual ITDP magazine, Sustainable Transport, including article sourcing, determining the content that best highlights ITDP’s work and managing the editorial process.
• Work with Global Communications Director and Senior Communications Associate on content strategy and UX for ITDP’s online resources.
• Develop and manage relationships with key ITDP field staff.
• Maintain “back end” work on PR, such as tracking ITDP press hits, developing messaging and following up with press contacts as required.
• Write and send monthly bulletin on Mailchimp to ITDP’s network.
• Create regular “special announcements” to ITDP’s targeted list.
• Create content (blog posts, tweets, FB posts) for social media promotions and coordinate with Sr. Communications Associate on developing social media calendar.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, creative writing, urban planning, transport, or other related field
• 5 years’ experience in journalism, content management or other relevant field
• A honed editorial voice combined with advanced knowledge of grammar and writing
• A passion for making information accessible, easy to digest and fun to read
• Strong organizational skills, ability to commit to deadlines and deliver quality material on a consistent basis
• A solutions-first approach to projects, responsibilities and challenges
• Ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced, international environment
• Ability for occasional international travel
• Background in journalism/ journalist-style writing
• Interest in urban planning, sustainable transport, environmental issues or other related topics
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial and Content Manager” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted in January 2019. No phone calls, please.