Economic Development Specialist
Organization: City of Peekskill
Posted: October 7, 2019 | Closing: October 11, 2019
This position would begin on a provisional basis which means that the appointed candidate is required take the Economic Development Specialist Civil Service Examination when it is next offered and be reachable from the resulting eligible list in order to be considered for a permanent appointment. Applicants must submit a Letter of Interest, City of Peekskill Application, Résumé, and Writing Sample to the City of Peekskill Human Resources Department, 840 Main Street, Peekskill, NY 10566. Please submit this material via e-mail to the Department of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the Department of Planning at email@example.com. Employment Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Office or the City’s website.
There are no residency requirements to participate in the application process, but preference in appointment may be given to qualified candidates that have been City of Peekskill residents for at least 30 days prior to the effective date of appointment.
The City of Peekskill is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Identify, promote, and implement public/private commercial, industrial and other development projects in the City of Peekskill.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Represent the interests of the City in economic development activities including the attraction and recruitment of new business, the retention and expansion of existing business, and the creation of new entrepreneurial opportunities. Seek out development opportunities through interaction with developers, real estate agents, state and local agencies, and others.
- Seek out developers and investors for City-owned properties. Prepare Request for Proposals, evaluate proposals, bids and permit requirements, prepare and review agreements, oversee City construction projects and inspectors, and solicit and review construction documents.
- Assist with furthering the $10 million NYS Downtown Revitalization Initiative grant, including project identification and implementation.
- Develop and maintain relationships with commercial property owners, developers and investors in the City of Peekskill to make them aware of City services that will help them maximize the value of their property.
- Collaborate, communicate and meet with various agencies, groups, City departments, consultants, and community members to obtain and share economic development information and discuss opportunities. Maintain ongoing personal contact with industry, business, and government officials. Attend Peekskill Business Improvement District and Historic Hudson River towns meetings.
- Interface with City’s artist community to maximize opportunities with Art along the Hudson. Work with stakeholders such as the Chamber of Commerce, Peekskill Art Council, and Westchester Community College to define and implement initiatives that can benefit the art community and the City of Peekskill.
- Respond to questions and requests from the public relating to development issues. Provide information to civic and business leaders and to the public.
- Prepare information regarding economic development matters and share with the City’s public relations consultant.
- Oversee the production of material related to economic development to facilitate press releases, advertisements, videos and promotional materials including brochures, City’s social media page/s and website. Prepare and present power point presentations & display boards to the development community.
- Attend economic development conferences to obtain information on best practices and County, State, or Federal programs. Enhance the City’s visibility through participation in local, regional and state initiatives and various public relations activities.
- Identify, apply for, manage and promote grants and other funding opportunities related to economic development.
- Meet with individuals who are interested in relocating a business to Peekskill, investing in Peekskill property, or starting a business in Peekskill, including within Peekskill’s Opportunity Zone.
- Interact with existing business owners and encourage expansion in Peekskill.
- Research and update demographic and market data on the City of Peekskill and the surrounding marketplace. Research, collect, and analyze information related to economic development opportunities.
- Review and process documents related to specific projects, maintain records and files of activities, prepare reports and process payments, assist with the preparation and administration of the Economic Development budget.
- Attend training and educational seminars and review reference materials and resources to keep abreast of new developments, laws and regulations affecting economic development issues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (As adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department)
Either: (a) Bachelor’s Degree* in Business, Finance, Public Administration, Planning or related field and three (3) years of experience in which the primary function of the position was state or federal development program administration; economic research; economic development; real estate finance; municipal management; public relations; marketing or advertising; or (b) a Master’s Degree* as stated in (a) above and two (2) years of experience as described in (a) above.
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, only experience gained after attaining the minimum education level as stated in the minimum qualifications will be considered in evaluating experience.
*SPECIAL NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Department of Education as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger or grasp, reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The physical requirements of this position also require the ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or regularly to move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not subject to substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as required by the applicable Department Head/supervisor and/or City Manager.
- This job description is intended for the internal use by the City of Peekskill and does not replace the job specification that has been adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department.
- This job description does not create a contract of employment, express or implied.
How to Apply
Please email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com