Deputy Planning Director
Organization: Prince William County Office of Planning, Woodbridge, VA
Posted: February 7, 2021 | Closing: February 26, 2021
PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY GOVERNMENT – PLANNING OFFICE
Woodbridge, VA United States
Are you a high-performing, collaborative leader with experience navigating complex planning projects and initiatives in a fast-paced environment? Would you like to help guide a dynamic team of professionals helping to make Prince William County a community of choice through innovative land use planning? If so, the Prince William County Planning Office has an exciting opportunity for you!
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
Prince William County, a fast-growing community in the Washington, D.C. metro region, is in search of a new Deputy Planning Director . The Deputy Planning Director will collaborate with the Planning Director to manage the Planning Office’s functional areas including Long Range Planning, Current Planning, Zoning, Community Development, and Administration.
This position performs complex professional and difficult administrative work in the overall coordination and management of the Planning Office, utilizing resources as necessary to support programs and functions. Work involves making professional contributions to studies and reports; representing the County on inter-jurisdictional committees and task forces; providing technical and procedural advice to subordinates and the Planning Director; administering personnel matters; developing and overseeing the department’s budget; supervising, coaching and mentoring professional, administrative, and technical support staff in carrying out general policies; resolving technical issues; and assuming full charge of the Planning Office operations in the absence of the director.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE…
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of planning and zoning, including an understanding of the fundamentals of land use planning, development, and economics as applied to planning and land use;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of administrative, supervisory, and leadership functions;
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and direct the work of subordinates;
- Ability to perform complex technical research work;
- Ability to study, analyze, and systematically compile technical and statistical information;
- Ability to prepare and present complex reports and effectively communicate concepts and recommendations;
- Ability to visualize future issues in land use and development and apply creative methods in finding solutions;
- Ability to speak effectively before large public gatherings and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to administer and manage projects within a definite timeframe;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with elected and appointed officials, citizens, and members of the business community.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification is preferred.
Full time; requires occasional evening meetings.
HIRING SALARY RANGE:
$101,832 – $136,878
How to Apply