DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY CULTIVATION
Organization: Clinton Housing Development Company, Inc.
Posted: July 1, 2018 | Closing: July 15, 2018
Clinton Housing Development Company (CHDC) builds community by preserving and creating high quality, permanently affordable housing in the Clinton/Hell’s Kitchen and Chelsea neighborhoods of Manhattan. CHDC integrates community, cultural and green spaces into developments and provides consulting services for larger community development and open space initiatives.
CHDC collaborates with neighborhood and citywide stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to develop
and promote diverse and economic integration by respecting and valuing the people, history and physical character of the community.
NATURE OF WORK
The Department of Community Cultivation at CHDC is responsible for building community in the Hell’s Kitchen Neighborhood by facilitating connections between the diverse members of the CHDC network, including staff, tenants and community partners.
The Deputy Director will have the primary responsibility of supervising all department staff; developing programming for CHDC staff and tenants; managing community initiatives such as annual neighborhood-wide events; and developing and maintaining partnerships with neighborhood and city organizations. Key roles include facilitating relationships between neighborhood residents, businesses, organizations, local elected officials and a range of community stakeholders to effect social change and improve the quality of life in Hell’s Kitchen.
Projects of the Community Cultivation Department have included a neighborhood-wide greening initiative; The Hell’s Kitchen Farm Project (www.hkfp.org); and the HKNY Key Parks, a network of small pocket parks, among many others.
Experience helpful in the following areas: community development, community organizing, event planning, strategic planning, meeting facilitation, conflict resolution, team building, and group dynamics work.
- Identify neighborhood needs with community members and neighborhood organizations
- Build upon existing community relationships and resources to advance programmatic and organizational goals
- Develop new community partnerships that align with organizational mission and values
- Develop strategy and communications around integrating greening initiatives,community partnerships and programming for CHDC staff and tenants
- Strategically plan annual calendar of community events and activities
- Supervise and collaborate with social service providers and housing management staff to develop and implement new and existing tenant and staff programs.
- Manage departmental budget
- Supervise departmental staff of 3+ people
- Encourage and contribute to the professional growth and development of department staff
- Maintain a culture of collaboration and creativity within Community Cultivation
Department and the organization as a whole
- Program management experience (3+ years)
- Supervisory experience (3+ years)
- Master’s Degree in related field (or equivalent job experience)
- Relationship and community building skills with demonstrated commitment to building community on a local level
- Excellent time-management, multi-tasking, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with diverse and underserved populations across boundaries of class and race
- Ability to work well under pressure, in a team environment with multiple assignments
How to Apply
Send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com