Deputy Director, Manhattan Planning
Organization: NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development
Posted: February 12, 2020 | Closing: February 28, 2020
The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) is the nation’s largest municipal housing preservation and development agency. Its mission is to promote quality housing and diverse, thriving neighborhoods for New Yorkers through loan and development programs for new affordable housing, preservation of the affordability of the existing housing stock, enforcement of housing quality standards, and educational programs for tenants and building owners. HPD is tasked with fulfilling Mayor de Blasio’s Housing New York Plan which was recently expanded and accelerated through Housing New York 2.0 to complete the initial goal of 200,000 homes two years ahead of schedule by 2022, and achieve an additional 100,000 homes over the following four years, for a total of 300,000 homes by 2026.
The Office of Neighborhood Strategies is charged with ensuring that HPD’s development and preservation efforts are guided by meaningful community engagement and coordinated with public investments in infrastructure and services, as put forth in the Mayor’s Housing Plan.
The Office of Neighborhood Strategies is composed of two divisions reporting each to an Assistant Commissioner, and 2 units reporting directly to the Deputy Commissioner.
• Planning & Predevelopment (P&P) is central to developing and managing HPD’s housing production pipeline from project proposal phases through the land use review and entitlement process, to ensure that HPD’s investments contribute to building strong, healthy, resilient neighborhoods in all five boroughs.
• Neighborhood Development & Stabilization (ND&S) leads the agency’s commitment to neighborhood planning and strategic preservation through engagement with tenants, landlords, community leaders, and neighborhood stakeholders as we work to enable strong and healthy neighborhoods anchored by affordable housing.
• The Strategy and Operations unit leads special ONS initiatives and provides essential technical, planning, and policy support to ONS leadership and staff as needed.
As the Deputy Director for Manhattan Planning, you will help lead a talented group of professionals and experts at the forefront of HPD’s new construction pre-development pipeline.
Your role will be to support the Director in developing, implementing, and managing all Manhattan Planning activities. The Deputy Director helps to create, train, and manage a team of energetic, thoughtful, and engaged planners that work together to managing a portfolio of projects along a critical path toward public approval and development financial closing, while coordinating input from community members, technical experts, agency partners, and agency leadership;.
• Independently managing a select portfolio of high-priority or complex projects
• Analyzing development trends, and neighborhood and market dynamics; land use and zoning analysis;
• Working with Senior Planners and Planners to troubleshoot and navigate complex planning issues as they arise in projects, and reviewing their work for quality assurance;
• Advising the Director on policy issues and potential solutions;
• Assisting the Director with creating, implementing, and maintaining, clear operational procedures;
• Representing the agency and Boro Planning team at public meetings and forums.
• Partnering with Predevelopment Planners in the request for proposals review and selection process
• Working collaboratively with the Division of Neighborhood Development and Stabilization on neighborhood planning efforts
• Coordinating with other NYC agencies, such as the Economic Development Corporation, Department of City Planning, for- and non- profit housing and community developers, Community Boards and local organizations, public officials, and neighborhood residents through the predevelopment process.
How to Apply
Apply online at https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fa127-jobs.nyc.gov%2Fpsc%2Fnycjobs%2FEMPLOYEE%2FHRMS%2Fc%2FHRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL%3FPage%3DHRS_APP_JBPST%26Action%3DU%26FOCUS%3DApplicant%26SiteId%3D1%26JobOpeningId%3D428211%26PostingSeq%3D1&data=02%7C01%7CStraughP%40hpd.nyc.gov%7Cba6b4dfa142e4223834b08d7af45d7d0%7C32f56fc75f814e22a95b15da66513bef%7C0%7C0%7C637170586837366875&sdata=z9q9oEABxnvowCZHCcC2P7emP3e4og1u%2BVan995GCVw%3D&reserved=0