Community Engagement & Planning Internship (Part-Time)
Organization: SoHo Broadway Initiative
Posted: April 5, 2021 | Closing: April 2, 2021
The SoHo Broadway Initiative is a small not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization that represents the neighborhood-focused business improvement district for SoHo’s Broadway from Houston to Canal. The Initiative seeks to make SoHo Broadway a welcoming place to live, work and visit.
The Initiative is seeking to hire an intern to support our community engagement and planning programs, including but not limited to SBI events, planning/research efforts (e.g. public realm planning, zoning, common commercial garbage, zero waste, etc.), web and social media, etc. The intern should be able to work 14 hours per week (2 weekdays). The internship will run from late May or early June through the end of August, with the possibility of extension upon successful completion of the first phase of the internship.
Intern will be responsible for the following:
- Research, data collection, analysis and writing related to various SoHo Broadway related projects including public realm planning, placemaking, zoning, commercial garbage, zero waste, public art, reopening/recovery, and other possible topics;
- Help coordinate and support Initiative events and programs;
- Conduct in-person community outreach and field research
- Support the preparation and publication of web/social media content and other community engagement needs;
- Provide support for the general needs of the Initiative.
The ideal candidate for this position is a graduate or upper level (junior or senior year) undergraduate student interested in working in a fast-paced environment doing neighborhood improvement work; and who is pursuing a degree in urban planning, communications, economic/community development, public policy, government relations, historic preservation, placemaking, or equivalent field. Strong organization and communication skills, both written and verbal are important. Word processing, spreadsheet and database skills are necessary, light photo editing, graphic design, layout, and mapping skills a plus.
$20 per hour for 14 hours per week, with possibility for additional hours.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Brandon Zwagerman, Director of Planning and Community Engagement, SoHo Broadway Initiative, at firstname.lastname@example.org; no calls please.