Organization: Rockland County Department of Planning
Posted: August 21, 2023 | Closing: December 29, 2023
Rockland County Department of Planning is seeking a candidate to perform technical-professional planning work of a difficult nature involving responsibility for the development and effecting of specific planning programs. The work is performed under the direction of a higher-level professional staff member and supervision may be exercised over a small number of lower-level employees. Evening work is required of employees in this class. Does related work as required.
Candidates must possess thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of municipal and county planning including economic analysis and capital programming; good knowledge of subdivision design and site planning; good knowledge of the organization and operation of municipal government in New York State; ability to supervise the work of others; ability to design and administer research studies; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to use a personal computer and software appropriate to various planning activities*.
Job description: The individual will review subdivision and site plan applications and coordinate their processing with other reviewers and consultants. The individual may plan and direct field surveys; as well as plan and coordinate revisions of zoning ordinances, subdivision regulations and related planning controls; will be responsible for meeting with local planning agencies, officials and professionals and may address the public on planning problems and programs; compile and analyze a variety of technical planning studies in relation to regulations and design criteria; Analyze data of economic characteristics and capital programming; Evaluate grant programs and assists in the preparation of applications.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Planning (e.g. Urban, Regional or Community), Landscape Architecture, Building or Civil Engineering, Geography, Social Science, or comparable curriculum and four (4) years of professional experience in municipal, community or land-use planning; or
- A Master’s degree in Planning (e.g. Urban, Regional or Community), Landscape Architecture, Building or Civil Engineering, Geography, Social Science, or comparable curriculum and two (2) years of professional experience in municipal, community or land- use planning.
Other Requirements and Information:
This is a competitive position in Civil Service and reachability on a test would be a requirement for permanent appointment.
Salary and benefits are competitive with the public sector market including but not limited to the following:
- 40 Hour work week
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Time off including vacation, personal and holiday time
- New York State Pension eligibility
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position; please email your resume and cover letter to: RCPlan@co.rockland.ny.us