Analyst – Ports & Transportation
Organization: New York City Economic Development Corporation
Posted: May 1, 2019 | Closing: December 31, 2019
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Ports & Transportation Department provides industry-leading, proactive development plans for key maritime assets owned and managed by the City of New York (NYC) and strategically plans for aviation and transportation-policy initiatives that improve and foster development in NYC. These assets include marine terminals, piers, freight rail and aviation facilities, heliports, and ferry terminals.
The Ports & Transportation Department is responsible for:
- Research and policy support for freight and marine-dependent employers and supply-chains in the City (FreightNYC; management of NYC’s Foreign Trade Zone program; Maritime Support Services Study)
- Guidance and management of waterfront strategy, planning and permitting relationships (www.waterfrontnavigator.nyc); the Saw Mill Creek Pilot Wetland Mitigation Bank)
- Lead planning for the City’s passenger ferry system (East River Ferry pilot; NYC Ferry)
- Passenger transportation planning related to NYCEDC projects; and
- Overseeing the City’s lease of LaGuardia Airport (LGA) and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) (JFK Industrial Business Improvement District; JFK Air Cargo Study)
Your Role: This full-time Analyst/Project Manager position will be in the Ports and Transportation Department as part of team of waterfront/waterways and freight planners, alongside passenger transportation planners, and development and infrastructure planners. The position being hired for will work with colleagues to imagine, implement, and problem solve innovative ways to facilitate movement of goods and people in NYC’s complex coastal and urban environment. The team provides waterfront environmental, freight/supply chain, and passenger transportation expertise to the Corporation and agencies across the City.
This is a junior project development and management position with considerable responsibility and opportunity for growth. The ideal candidate will have some relevant professional and/or academic experience, interest in waterfront and waterway, transportation, freight, and environmental planning, and an ability to take initiative and quickly increase their expertise and role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams facilitating waterfront and transportation planning and policy efforts aimed at improving waterfront and waterway infrastructure investments, freight transportation options for NYC businesses, reducing truck and auto dependency, improving last-mile freight mobility and enhancing the City’s passenger transit network.
- Engage in project management and project support. Duties will include report and memo preparation, data analysis, research, meeting preparation, and off-site fieldwork, as well as team coordination across NYCEDC, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Articulate visions for and evaluate the feasibility of future development based on sound planning principles and market realities.
- Develop implementation strategies for interim and long-term uses.
- Craft and manage public outreach and education processes and initiatives.
- Establish and oversee interagency and interdepartmental working groups on select projects, meeting frequently to move projects forward and address challenges.
- Represent the organization in professional and public forums.
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities; regulators; industry organizations; civic and community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; and advocacy groups.
Other Responsibilities: Other projects, tasks and duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in maritime, transportation, urban planning, real estate, public policy, environmental science or related field, or significant related professional experience or graduate degree.
- Up to a 1 year of professional experience in transportation, economic development, community planning and development, or equivalent is preferred. Relevant coursework or internships may substitute for professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Strong understanding and interest in urban planning, transportation planning, natural environment, infrastructure and economic development issues.
- General understanding of and experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process, preferably specific to NYC.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Strong entrepreneurial and leadership ability and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated fluency in the use of spreadsheets, database and presentation applications, including Excel and PowerPoint; experience with spatial/mapping platforms and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- New York City resident (required within 180 days of hire).
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, heavily-subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave, commitment to work-life balance, and discounted gym memberships and Broadway tickets.https://www.nycedc.com/careers/jobs?p=job%2FocpJ9fwd
How to Apply
To apply visit the NYCEDC Jobs portal or click here.