SOLD OUT — HINDSIGHT 2017: URBAN PLANNING THROUGH THE EQUITY LENS
NOTE: Hindsight 2017 Conference tickets are SOLD OUT. There are still live stream spots available. Scroll down to register.
Urbanists, lovers of cities, community organizers, policy makers, and urban planners of all kinds–please join the us for the first annual Hindsight Conference on Friday, November 3, 2017!
The American Planning Association’s New York Metro Chapter Diversity Committee has organized Hindsight, a planning conference held in honor of the 100th Anniversary of Buchanan v. Warley (1917), the US Supreme Court decision that invalidated racial zoning on 14th Amendment grounds. This conference aims to not only reflect on the discriminatory history of planning and its implicit (and explicit) role in shaping today’s inequitable neighborhoods, but also to proactively share planning, policy, and community development strategies that work towards more inclusive, just, and equitable communities. The day-long conference will focus on social equity not as an independent topic within planning, but rather, as a critical lens through which all planning and community development be conducted.
This conference was organized by the members of the Diversity Committee of the APA New York Metro Chapter. The event is sponsored by the APA New York Metro Chapter, with additional support by the New York City Economic Development Corporation.
Visit hindsightcon.com for more information.
Keynote (.75 CM Credits):
Hindsight will kick off with a keynote “fireside chat”–an intimate conversation with leaders to reflect on the Buchanan v. Warley case and other inequitable policies in hindsight, and look forward into the future for strategies to promote more just and equitable communities.
- Letitia James, Public Advocate for the City of New York
- Mindy Fullilove, Professor of Urban Policy and Health at The New School
- Coty Montag, Deputy Director of Litigation for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- Moderated by Giovania Tiarachristie and Tiffany-Ann Taylor, Co-Chairs of the Diversity Committee
Sessions (1 CM credit per session) | Schedule:
- 8:00am – 8:45am – Breakfast (included in cost of conference)
- 8:45am – 9:50am – Welcome and Keynote Speakers
- 10:00am – 11:00am – Session 1
- 11:10am – 12:10am – Session 2
- 12:20pm – 1:20pm – Lunch (included in cost of conference)
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm – Session 3
- 2:40pm – 3:40pm – Session 4
- 3:50pm – 4:50pm – Session 5
- 5:00pm – 5:15pm – Closing Remarks
- Happy Hour to follow for informal networking
Hindsight Conference tickets are SOLD OUT. There are still live stream spots available. Scroll down to register.
Registration fees and donations will go towards a combination of the following: the cost of the conference, future APA NYM Diversity Committee events and the creation of an educational scholarship fund. Thank you for your purchase.
This event is fully booked.