APA New York Metro Chapter is looking for a new Vice President (VP) of Communications – apply by July 7th
APA New York Metro Chapter Mission
Support our members, local communities, schools, and practicing professionals through advocating for good planning practice, hosting diverse events and facilitating professional development opportunities in New York City, Long Island, Hudson Valley East and Hudson Valley West.
About the Opportunity
The APA New York Metro Chapter serves more than 1,000 members and reaches even larger audiences through our events, programming and digital resources. Our Executive Committee is made up of 13 voting members who guide the Chapter’s work along with a number of Committees, Sections, and other volunteers.
The VP of Communications role was created two years ago to help the Chapter reach more people in a more effective way. To date, we’ve launched a new website (nyplanning.org), created branding guides and revamped our social media presence. However, there is still a lot of exciting work to be done. The Chapter recently held a leadership retreat and identified a number of key opportunities to increase our visibility, form new partnerships and continue to enhance how we use our digital tools.
- Assist the President in the development and coordination of the Chapter’s communication strategy
- Ensure all external communications fit into the overall communication strategy
- Spearhead new initiatives to achieve the Chapter’s goals, including—but not limited to—initiating partnerships to increase the Chapter’s visibility and developing strategies and tools for Chapter fundraising efforts
- Provide direction and supervision for the Chapter communications intern
- Provide leadership on the development of marketing and communication tools and standards, including design and content for the website, social media and printed materials
- Oversee the production of the bi-weekly e-news (New York Planners’ Brief)
- Provide assistance to Committees and Sections to ensure they have the communications tools they need to be successful
- Provide public comments or addresses in the event that the President is unavailable
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than July 7th with the subject line “APA-NYM VP of Communications” and include a resume and 100-500 word statement of interest that describes why you are a qualified candidate.
- The new VP of Communications shall hold office for the balance of the current term (i.e., through December 31, 2018) until the next election cycle.
- The new VP of Communications shall serve on the Executive Committee and is required to attend/call-in and provide reports at monthly Executive Committee meetings during the term of office.