Senior Freight Planner
Posted: March 15, 2017 | Closing: May 31, 2017
Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and industrial engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of 12,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our client’s needs.
Our New York City office is currently seeking a Senior Freight Planner to undertake a range of planning, policy and analytical activities focused around goods movement in urban environments.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Senior Freight Planner role is based in our Integrated Planning team, and will work on developing freight transportation plans and policies for cities, regions, and districts. As a Senior Freight Planner you will have responsibility for leading this practice area as we expand our presence on the East Coast. In this role, the Senior Freight Planner will oversee the delivery of all freight-related projects, research initiatives, and business development efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to consult with public and private sector clients and impact the strategic approach to complex planning and policy projects focused within goods movement, urban logistics, and high-profile transportation infrastructure.
You will work in design or client teams with a broad range of other experts, such as transportation engineers, urban planners and civil engineers to deliver operational solutions, technical analyses, policy recommendations, plans, and studies. Your experience in freight, specifically in urban environments, and knowledge of the various stakeholders and freight-related processes within the Northeast and the New York Metro area coupled with your entrepreneurial spirit will provide a strong foundation to lead this practice area. Additional responsibilities will include:
• Lead and deliver freight mobility solutions to clients in urban settings
• Develop strategies, policies, and plans for goods movement
• Lead or oversee technical efforts including data analysis, forecasting, demand modeling, and database management
• Develop and build strong networks internally and externally
• Oversee private sector and community stakeholder engagement
• Integrate principles of sustainability and resilience within goods movement
• Mentor team members to develop technical processes, plans and recommendations, research, and staffing levels.
We are very keen for our staff to work across teams and across sectors to provide a broad range of experience across our work in Integrated Planning.
Qualified professionals will have:
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Transportation Planning, or other operations, logistics, and management-related field.
• A minimum of seven years of experience in the urban freight industry.
• Good communication skills essential for team-based working. Working in a team is a key aspect of our project delivery and candidates must be cooperative and collaborative to provide creative input during design team meetings.
• Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment.
• A desire to be proactive, highly motivated, and willing to take on new challenges.
• Project management experience delivering freight and/or corridor plans, studies, and policy recommendations.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft software, such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word, is expected.
• Experience in freight-related database management and modeling tools is a plus.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer