Organization: Sunset Park Business Improvement District
Posted: November 13, 2017 | Closing: November 30, 2017
The Sunset Park District Management Association (DMA) is a non-profit economic development organization that manages the Sunset Park Business Improvement District (SPBID) in Brooklyn. The DMA is governed by an independent board of directors, comprised of district property owners, tenants, elected officials and other area stakeholders.
The SPBID runs from 38th to 64th Street along 5th Avenue in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn and includes 384 properties. Within those properties, are over 500 businesses, mostly locally-owned mom and pop shops. The mission of SPBID is to revitalize the 5th Avenue shopping corridor and enhance the quality of life for the Sunset Park community.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Executive Director acts as the principal officer of the organization and will be responsible for the administration, financial management, and day-to-day operations. This includes managing BID programs and services and responding to stakeholders’ issues and concerns, with the goal of improving the business climate and overall conditions within the Sunset Park BID. The Executive Director will provide leadership of the organization and reports directly to the Board of Directors. The specific responsibilities of the Executive Director include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee district‐wide services to support the corridor including sanitation, public safety, special events, pedestrian safety, and streetscape improvements;
- Engage in Marketing and Promotion activities aimed at attracting residents and visitors to the Avenue’s array of services, shops and dining;
- Oversee organizational policies and procedures ensuring compliance under New York State not-for-profit law and the contract with the City of New York;
- Prepare and recommend an annual operating budget consistent with the goals and objectives established by the Board;
- Oversee all social media and communications including responding to media requests and all BID inquiries, managing website and online presence, and producing marketing materials, annual reports, quarterly newsletters, and member bulletins;
- Cultivate and maintain effective relationships with businesses, residents, property owners, public officials, community leaders and the media. Actively engage BID area members to gain maximum participation in BID activities;
- Liaise with business, community, institutional partners, elected officials, and governmental agencies, to address quality of life issues, inform City about neighborhood needs, and advocate for the Sunset Park community;
- Work to solicit additional funds via grants and other fundraising to support BID mission;
- Manage the administrative office, supervise staff, and administer benefits and payroll;
- Serve as spokesperson to the media and stakeholder groups; and
- Organize and attend all meetings of the board of directors.
Qualified candidate will have demonstrated the following skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in some combination of the following areas: government, public policy, politics, real estate, economic development, business assistance, retail management, or urban planning;
- Strong preference for bi-lingual language skills (Spanish and/or Mandarin);
- Outgoing and friendly personality with superior verbal / written communications skills and strong computer skills;
- Energetic and passionate about commercial revitalization;
- Event planning experience;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize projects to meet required deadlines
- Financial management experience including budgets;
- Entrepreneurial and creative, with a strong team spirit;
- A Bachelor’s Degree, Masters degree preferred;
- Fundraising, public relations, and marketing experience a plus; and
- Experience with non-profit management, BIDs, and board of directors a plus.
Compensation is a minimum of $50,000 per year (higher amounts possibly negotiated), with the possibility of a benefits package. Interested candidates should email a cover letter with your salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Director Application” and your full name in the email subject line. Application deadline is November 30, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter with your salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Executive Director Application” and your full name in the email subject line. Application deadline is November 30, 2017.