Assistant Planner – Trenton, NJ
Organization: City of Trenton - Division of Planning
Posted: October 2, 2017 | Closing: October 31, 2017
Are you interested in making a REAL difference? Are you an innovative 21st century thinker? Do urban environments excite you? Do you love the challenge of becoming intimately engaged with diverse communities to help resolve built environment issues? Our small, but very progressive Division of Planning office may be right for you!
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only.
A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Be a 21st century innovative, urban thinker.
- Be able to analyze and present data creatively for layman interpretations.
- Familiarity with the many platforms within ArcGIS online. Ability to utilize storytelling through ArcGIS online.
- Gather and maintain demographic and spatial data and other related statistics.
- Compile information and make recommendations on special studies; prepare technical reports.
- Participate in the research, analysis, and interpretation of social, economic, population and land use data and trends.
- Make presentations to the City Council, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, standing and ad hoc committees, developers, community groups and outside agencies.
- Review development proposals and other requests made to the Division of Planning for conformance with appropriate regulations; Prepare development review reports and recommendations.
- Review and approve or deny development applications for building projects.
- Check commercial, industrial, and residential development plans for zoning conformance.
- Advise and confer with architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the general public regarding City development policies, standards, and guidelines.
- Perform inspections and related field work.
- Take phone calls and inquiries from the public and other agencies; provide assistance to walk in customers at the counter.
- Prepare staff reports and graphic displays.
- Research and draft resolutions and ordinances for review.
- Attend a variety of meetings, including Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment meetings and predevelopment meetings.
- Interpret project compliance with City plans, ordinances, and codes.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of municipal planning; incorporate new developments as appropriate into programs.
- Perform related duties as required.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree
including twenty-one (21) semester hours credits in professional planning subjects such as the principles of land use planning, history of city planning, planning project design, planning law, and administration. Masters in Urban Planning preferred.
One (1) year of professional experience in municipal, county, regional, or state planning.
NOTE: Possession of a current, valid license as a Professional Planner in New Jersey issued by the State Board of Professional Planners may be substituted for the education requirement.
NOTE: Possession of a Master’s degree in Planning from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the experience requirement.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to
perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be
considered as acceptable forms of communication. Fluent in Spanish is a plus.
Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Residency requirement within 6 months of duty.
PLEASE ALSO SEE THE NJ CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION JOB SPECIFICATION FOR THIS TITLE
How to Apply
SEND RESUME AND A WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Deparment of Administration, Division of Personnel
City of Trenton
City Hall Annex, 3rd Floor
319 E. State Street
Trenton, NJ 08608-1866
PLEASE NO CALLS
NOTE: Writing samples must include a detailed technical analysis and be no more than three pages. Supportive materials such as maps, charts, and graphics can be submitted as supplemental materials.