Organization: Village of Port Chester
Posted: May 18, 2017 | Closing: June 16, 2017
If you enjoy working with others to reach a common vision, then the Village of Port Chester has an opportunity for you! The Village of Port Chester Department of Planning & Economic Development is currently seeking an Assistant Planner to join its Planning & Economic Development team.
WHO WE ARE:
Port Chester is located in Westchester County along the Long Island Sound Shore at the border between New York and Connecticut. The Village has a population of approximately 29,000 persons and has been identified as the “Restaurant Capital” of Westchester County. With a strong local economy, diverse mix of cultures, and proximity to New York City, the Village is on the cusp of a ajor revitalization.
The Department of Planning & Economic Development works to allow that revitalization to be realized. The goals of the Department include:
- Redeveloping the downtown into a walkable, transit-oriented destination
- Increasing economic opportunities within the Village
- Preserving and enhancing public and open space, especially along the Byram River waterfront
- Improving the aesthetics of the downtown area
- Enhancing mobility around the Village by supporting public transit and other alternatives
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
The Department of Planning & Economic Development seeks an Assistant Planner. Working under the general supervision of the Director of Planning & Economic Development and as a member of a small planning team, the Assistant Planner position offers an opportunity to build skills in a wide variety of areas. The Assistant Planner will help provide support for short- and long-range planning efforts, including review of development applications, grants and other funding opportunities, zoning and land use studies, and general support to Village advisory bodies and staff.
The ideal applicant will have strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to interact positively with the public and fellow staff members, and should be interested and well-versed in contemporary planning issues and concepts, including new urbanism, sustainability, transit-oriented development, planning for resiliency, and zoning. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus. In addition, experience and/or working knowledge of New York State is highly valued.
The position includes the following specific duties:
- Processing of site plans, zoning requests, special exception permits
- Grants preparation, management, and administration
- Economic and statistical analysis
- Environmental review
- GIS mapping and preparation of graphics
- Knowledge of infrastructure and capital improvement projects
- Coordination with other municipal agencies, commissions and governing bodies
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
The Assistant Planner position requires graduation from an accredited college with either:
- Bachelor’s Degree and one (1) year of experience in which the primary function of the position was urban or regional planning, architecture, engineering, or a related field;
- Bachelor’s Degree in City, Urban or Regional Planning, Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Traffic, or similar), Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography or related field.
The starting salary range is $50,000-64,000, depending on qualifications.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Eric Zamft, AICP, Director of Planning & Economic Development at email@example.com.